As Good As Dead, by Holly Jackson

sophiegs's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious tense

davv_22's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious tense slow-paced

4 stars. Fuck you

carebearstare's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny hopeful inspiring mysterious reflective sad tense fast-paced

This was the perfect wrap up to an intensely dark but intensely hopeful trilogy. The love I have for these characters will be carried in my heart forever.

srothsutton's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious

lindsaybonnez's review

I’m so sad it’s oveeheeeheeuuurrr

sheidhrbeh7's review

dark emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

euhidontknow's review

adventurous dark emotional hopeful mysterious sad tense medium-paced

jawahirthebookworm's review against another edition

Score:5/5

I can officially say that is has to be one of the best series ever written, Jackson is a mastermind when it comes to crafting addictive storylines and even more compelling characters.

What I love about Jackson is that she ties up every single plot point or observation referenced in the book, and not only that she manages to bring back minuscule ties all the way back from the first book and ends up tying everything up nicely so that there’s no room for doubt.

I have to say this is the darkest one out of all three and it was difficult reading it sometimes. Possibly because I’ve grown so attached to Pip as a character that it was heartbreaking to see her go through so much and have to deal with plenty of rage and darkness. At times I was genuinely terrified of her. If that’s not a testament to the brilliant ability to create morally grey characters who you can’t help but sympathize for, I don’t know what it is!

I do think this feels more mature and dark for a YA book, and I’d recommend it for older teens and adults.

I won’t stop thinking about this book for a little while, and I don’t think I’ll ever stop thinking about this series. Do yourself a favor and go read it.

beca_reads's review

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

This was a perfect ending to the 'good girls guide to murder' trilogy. This time Pip has a stalker, which makes a change from the past book, as this time she is trying to figure out who her stalker is. During this process she finds out that there might still be a serial killer on the loose, making her race to find out before anyone becomes the next victim. The second half of the book, takes a twist which I was not expecting, but absolutely loved (though I could see how some people may not like it). The second half of the book see's pip needing help from her friends, who are more than happy to help her. There was a strong sense of found family and coming together to help each other. The ending broke me, to put it lightly. I felt heavily for Pip and wanted the best for her, and was hard to see her struggle so much.

Throughout the book we see Pip struggle with the aftermath of the events that happened in 'as good as dead'. Pip experiences extreme anxiety and flashbacks from these past events, leading to her becoming co-dependent on Xanax. Pips mental health was handled carefully, and showed the reality of living with trauma, and anxiety. This made Pip feel like a real person, that deals with mental health conditions that many people deal with daily. I also felt it was good how it showed that it can be hard to reach out for help when you need it most.

Overall, this book was fantastic and I know I will come back time and time again to this series. I'm excited to see what Holly Jackson does next.

angiebks's review

adventurous dark mysterious sad tense medium-paced