Reviews tagging Child abuse

The Stone Sky, by N.K. Jemisin

emzhayreading's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional hopeful inspiring mysterious reflective sad tense slow-paced

I don’t blame her.

kjoli's review against another edition

dark emotional sad tense medium-paced

boglord's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad tense medium-paced

byrdies's review against another edition

challenging emotional tense fast-paced

quinnspired's review against another edition

adventurous dark medium-paced

rosequarterdrifting's review against another edition

dark emotional sad tense medium-paced

favorite serious quotes:
Spoiler
Hoa says to your slumped back, "I can't die."

You frown, jarred out of melancholy by this apparent non sequitur. Then you understand: He's saying you won't ever lose him. He will not crumble away like Alabaster. You can't ever be surprised by the pain of Hoa's loss the way you were with Corundum or Innon or Alabaster or Uche, or now Jija. You can't hurt Hoa in any way that matters. "It's safe to love you," you murmur, in startled realization.

"Yes."

Spoiler
She draws up her feet and wraps her arms around her knees, curiously vulnerable for someone whose presence within the strata is as deep and dense as a mountain. I reach up to touch her ankle, greatly daring, and she blinks and smiles at me, reaching down to cover my fingers with her hand. I will not understand my feelings for centuries afterward.

Spoiler
The onyx says, in its ponderous, wordless way:

Execute Y/N?

And in the cold stone silence, alone, Nassun chooses.

Spoiler
"It might take some time."

"I don't think I'm very patient."

But you take my hand. Don't be patient. Don't ever be. This is the way a new world begins.

"Neither am I," I say. "So let's get to it."

Spoiler
It's almost like the old days, except that now Hoa appears as you walk, gets left behind as you keep walking, then appears again somewhere ahead of you. Most times he adopts a neutral posture, but occasionally he's doing something ridiculous, like the time you find him in a running pose.

Spoiler
Remwha crouches to run a hand along the wooden slats of the floor. I don't know why he does anything.

Spoiler
Asked Tinimony to take me into the hole today and she said no. What's in the hole, huh? What's in the hole.

complex mother-daughter relationships fraught with abuse and they have to
Spoilercatch the moon
? sign me up

troisha's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional hopeful tense medium-paced

dunollie's review against another edition

adventurous emotional fast-paced

What an incredible and wholly satisfying ending to the trilogy.

Jemisin’s complexity and depth of world building weaves so well into the individual stories and development of her characters, and draws parallels to our world without hitting you on the nose with them — to me, this is a sublimely perfect example of how speculative fiction should be.

And, on top of that rich and meaty content, diversity of race and gender and sexuality adds another layer of depth and resonance and importance. This book shows us why representation matters. Because the human experience is varied and so much more than just the white-hetero-male-experience, our stories need to reflect that variety.

Spoiler As a new mom who is a lifelong reader of spec-fic, I can’t express how satisfying it was to find motherhood dealt with in the story with such complexity and depth and realness. My heart ached for Essun and Nassun and the inevitability of their story trajectories. And seeing the link of motherhood with resilience, necessity, love and saving the world... oof, that was so refreshing and inspiring. Makes me want to never read another book by an old straight white guy — not when there’s stuff like this out there that will speak to me and my life so much better.

eve_reads's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional inspiring reflective

Overall Thoughts:
⁕ I highly recommend reading this book immediately after finishing the second one. I waited a month or so in between and it was hard for me to remember a lot of important details and world-building that are crucial to the story.

⁕ I don’t know how it’s possible, but the character development in this one was EVEN BETTER than the previous two novels. I especially appreciated how Jemisin delves deeper into the main characters’ impact on each other.

⁕ The way that Jemisin explores the binary of supremacy and oppression, how one cannot exist without the other, is just... wow. This story will not leave me for some time.

⁕ Because the first two books of this series were SO good, I was worried that the ending wouldn’t live up to my expectations. Thankfully, it was satisfying on both a smaller, character-based level and on a larger scale, plot-driven level.

To read my full review, visit: https://evereads.online
For regular book-related content, follow my Instagram account: @eve_reads

hanz's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional medium-paced

Ughhh so gooood!