Reviews tagging Homophobia

Can't Take That Away, by Steven Salvatore

moony_padfoot_evans_and_prongs's review

emotional funny inspiring fast-paced

I've never read a book about a genderqueer character before so this was very interesting to me. I really liked it and it was really cool to see the point of view of a character like that, especially since it's an OwnVoices book. The storyline was really good and the representation of a couple other identities was really casual, but for a book like this that was definitely the best way to do it- showing that all identities are "normal". The drama was pretty good and the romance in this was sweet and soft, which is my favorite kind of romance to read because I''m not a fan of smutty stuff and they're just so fricking cute 🥰
I think this is definitely a good book to read if you're trying to read about more sexualities/identities of the LGBTQ+ community and if you're into reading about people coming together to make change.
I got this from my local library so I'm definitely going to be buying it soon because I need to own this book :)

lettuce_read's review

hannistudies's review

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted sad medium-paced

averyconfusedhomosapien's review

emotional funny hopeful informative slow-paced

merlesstorys's review

dark emotional hopeful inspiring tense slow-paced

My first introduction to a genderqueer person outside of the Hollywood biz as I don’t know one irl (at least as I know of) and it was really good.

I liked the writing style of Steven Salvatore as their depiction of queer youth today resonates with stuff I’ve experienced so far and they take a deep look at the feelings of their main character, Carey as well as the ones of their friends.

Which brings me to the characters in this book and I honestly love them all so much, it’s indescribable. Carey with their love for music and musicals, Cris with his unbelievable Charme, Monroe with her amazing fashion taste, Joey just for being a good ally, and Phoebe with -again- her love for musicals. They all get their peaks throughout the book and that is just amazing - and the most important thing in “Can’t take that away” is the friendship, not the ‘boo-friend’… I love it.

Next to the starting situation: it’s such a good idea, to show the main character in their natural habitat aka music/als with their ambition to become Elphaba, and just as well as her, defy gravity. Pun very much intended.

The only critic I have is that the ending is a bit too much for me. (Not the actual ending, but what happens after Carey and Cris are reunited. I don’t want to spoil more)
This small section means unfortunately a quarter star down from five stars, but that’s literally the only thing I didn’t like.

Also, can we please talk about the hardcover artwork? It’s insanely gorgeous (please insert the Gaga meme here about being amazing etc. :D)

misssleepless's review

dark emotional tense medium-paced

melaniereadsbooks's review

challenging emotional fast-paced

This book is a heavy-hitting YA contemp about a genderqueer teen dealing with extreme homophobia from classmates, teachers, and school board members.  Throughout it all, Carey manages to stay hopeful and strong and surrounded by a few people that make their life better.  I was so angry at the school. As someone who works for a small school district, I 100% know the likelihood a similar queer-phobic incident occurring, and the saddest part about that is most of the time things don't get changed like they did in this book. I'm glad for the hope of that, and I loved seeing Carey grow throughout the novel!

foreverinastory's review

emotional hopeful inspiring medium-paced

The school/principal really made me mad. But otherwise I definitely loved this! However, the audio quality was TERRIBLE and it's not even from Netgalley--wtf @Bloomsbury!?!

Rep: white genderqueer MC with anxiety and anxiety/panic attacks, Black female side character, bisexual male love interest, disabled elderly grandmother who can't speak much--implied side effects of a stroke possibly.

CWs: Alcohol consumption, biphobia, bullying, death/death of grandparent, dysphoria, gaslighting, grief, hate crime, homophobia, lesbophobia, mental illness (anxiety), panic/anxiety attacks, misogyny, sexism, transphobia.

endemictoearth's review

challenging emotional hopeful informative inspiring sad medium-paced

I really liked this a lot. It was a pretty straight-forward ya contemporary, tho the romance plot was kind of oddly paced. I wouldn’t read this for the romance alone, but I did enjoy the characters. The villains are fairly villainous, but like, in a way that allowed for some social commentary. Just something about how the whole thing hung together worked for me.

seawarrior's review

emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad tense medium-paced

There's a lot of ways I feel about this story and how I relate to it, but I'll try not to go on too long. I sincerely hope this book was as validating an experience to write as it surely will be for the genderqueer people who read it.

I began this story feeling that I couldn't see much of myself in Carey and was somewhat at odds with their melodramatic perspective of the world. Yet after reading further, I quickly became invested in their life and their dreams. Their wish to just exist authentically without having to make a political statement to do so is painfully close to my heart. I loved that as Carey grew kinder to themselves, they learned to apply similar kindness and understanding towards the people they were close to. It's very rewarding to watch a character who's a self-described diva learn to de-center themselves and prioritize their loved ones, along with those they have the power to inspire. Carey's love towards themselves and their friends and family made me love and respect them too as a reader. The supporting characters don't feel like props in Carey's play of life. Instead they are written with their own dreams, and anxieties they learn to overcome over the course of the story.

Really my only significant criticism of this story was that some of the character's speeches read more like a well-plotted lecture than organic dialogue that would realistically occur between people. However, I understand how difficult these moments must be to create as a writer, especially when your character is representing a piece of yourself. For the most part I felt this story was refreshing and inspiring, and the characters' voices will likely stick with me for a long time.