Reviews tagging Transphobia

Can't Take That Away, by Steven Salvatore

lettuce_read's review

hannistudies's review

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted sad medium-paced

averyconfusedhomosapien's review

emotional funny hopeful informative slow-paced

misssleepless's review

dark emotional tense medium-paced

melaniereadsbooks's review

challenging emotional fast-paced

This book is a heavy-hitting YA contemp about a genderqueer teen dealing with extreme homophobia from classmates, teachers, and school board members.  Throughout it all, Carey manages to stay hopeful and strong and surrounded by a few people that make their life better.  I was so angry at the school. As someone who works for a small school district, I 100% know the likelihood a similar queer-phobic incident occurring, and the saddest part about that is most of the time things don't get changed like they did in this book. I'm glad for the hope of that, and I loved seeing Carey grow throughout the novel!

foreverinastory's review

emotional hopeful inspiring medium-paced

The school/principal really made me mad. But otherwise I definitely loved this! However, the audio quality was TERRIBLE and it's not even from Netgalley--wtf @Bloomsbury!?!

Rep: white genderqueer MC with anxiety and anxiety/panic attacks, Black female side character, bisexual male love interest, disabled elderly grandmother who can't speak much--implied side effects of a stroke possibly.

CWs: Alcohol consumption, biphobia, bullying, death/death of grandparent, dysphoria, gaslighting, grief, hate crime, homophobia, lesbophobia, mental illness (anxiety), panic/anxiety attacks, misogyny, sexism, transphobia.

phrog's review

emotional funny hopeful inspiring reflective tense medium-paced

I loved the bits about protesting unfair school policies. The characters grew on me a lot as well. I wasn't the biggest fan of the writing style, but it was easy to overlook whilst reading.

thefightinside's review

challenging emotional inspiring medium-paced

This book is very inspiring to young LGBT+ people who feel pushed down. The ending is--to me--a bit too-good-to-be-true, but the ending works well for the story's sake.

seawarrior's review

emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad tense medium-paced

There's a lot of ways I feel about this story and how I relate to it, but I'll try not to go on too long. I sincerely hope this book was as validating an experience to write as it surely will be for the genderqueer people who read it.

I began this story feeling that I couldn't see much of myself in Carey and was somewhat at odds with their melodramatic perspective of the world. Yet after reading further, I quickly became invested in their life and their dreams. Their wish to just exist authentically without having to make a political statement to do so is painfully close to my heart. I loved that as Carey grew kinder to themselves, they learned to apply similar kindness and understanding towards the people they were close to. It's very rewarding to watch a character who's a self-described diva learn to de-center themselves and prioritize their loved ones, along with those they have the power to inspire. Carey's love towards themselves and their friends and family made me love and respect them too as a reader. The supporting characters don't feel like props in Carey's play of life. Instead they are written with their own dreams, and anxieties they learn to overcome over the course of the story.

Really my only significant criticism of this story was that some of the character's speeches read more like a well-plotted lecture than organic dialogue that would realistically occur between people. However, I understand how difficult these moments must be to create as a writer, especially when your character is representing a piece of yourself. For the most part I felt this story was refreshing and inspiring, and the characters' voices will likely stick with me for a long time.

readalongwithnat's review

emotional tense medium-paced

I just absolutely loved this book with my whole queer heart. Seeing Carey's pronouns change day-to-day made me feel very validated as a nonbinary person.