The Night Circus, by Erin Morgenstern

the_le_romy's review

this. this is how you write magic. the writing is phenomenal and transported you right into the circus. not even the time jumps annoyed me because it fit so well with the way the entire challenge and circus were set up. morgenstern’s writing is peak escapism making willing suspension of disbelief the easiest thing

imissbookit's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious reflective sad medium-paced

thelexingtonbookie's review

I really enjoyed Morgenstern's magical novel and all it's twists and turns. I listened to the audiobook, and narrator Jim Dale kept me entertained as I bustled about working on projects around my home. His voice is so animated, and with a host of intriguing characters, I was transported into the setting of this mythical circus and forbidden romance. Would certainly recommend to others and have already passed along a hard copy to a friend.

aishaniramachandran's review

adventurous emotional mysterious medium-paced

drowningfaithh's review against another edition

tropes/tags:.
→ rivals to lovers
→ circus + magic !!
→ the atmosphere of this was just 100% magical
→ a lot of vibes, a little plot

Aaaaaa I have mixed feeling about this book. I loved it, then I didn’t, then I kinda maybe sort of loved it again. I intended to rate this 3 stars when I was reading through the middle but as I got to the end, I felt the need to change it to 4 stars only because of Poppet and Widget. Seriously, how can you not love them.

First of all, Erin Morgenstern’s writing really captured the essence of a magically-infused circus. The imagery she portrayed in her descriptions were very vivid that I really felt like I was in the scene myself.

But I feel like most of the novel focused too much on the circus and its exhibits that it diverted from its original plot—the “duel” between the two students of powerful magicians. I would say that the first 3/4 of the novel was dedicated to world-building, and the other 1/4 was where all the action took place. I would say that the remaining chapters are what carried the whole novel.

Okay, next. The romance part that the synopsis mentioned was kinda clickbait because
Spoiler 1) It took so long for Marco and Celia to interact properly and 2) The romance was too sudden! They interacted like TWICE and they’re suddenly in love? No, thank you. I just wish that their relationship was developed properly instead of being made an instant connection. Plus, there was the matter of Isobella and the fact that Marco just upped and dropped her. Please

Also, as fun as it was to explore the wonders of the circus, I think it would be more interesting to explore the more about the other duels that happened between Hector Bowen and Alexander’s students. Like how these challenges even started and what transpired before Marco and Celia were chosen.
Spoiler ALSO, YES I LOVED HOW TSUKIKO WAS A PREVIOUS STUDENT OF ALEXANDER! Tsukiko MVP.

Okay lastly, I just want to get it out there that I love the Murray twins! Poppet and Widget have my heart. They carried the entire novel on their backs. Celia and Marco whomstve?

Anyway, I do recommend giving this book a try because it was, I guess you could say, a worthwhile experience.

imissbookit's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious reflective sad medium-paced

megsminor's review against another edition

emotional lighthearted mysterious slow-paced

megs_books_'s review against another edition

Just not great in my opinion. Trying to hard in the writing to be funny and mysterious

krandazzo725's review against another edition

Amazing beautiful wonderful book. Well told story that made me smile from beginning to end. Really enjoyed how non-traditional it was. Cannot recommend highly enough.

melaniemia's review against another edition

The first half of this book was a struggle to get through. I didn't like the writing style, and I hated the format. Not much happened in the first half, but it was very whimsical, as a book about a circus should be.

By the second half of the book, I had gotten over my hatred of the writing style, but still found the characters and the plot (or lack thereof) very flat.

The last 50 pages are what finally earned this book 3 stars from me. It did somewhat redeem itself, and I actually enjoyed the book, although not quite as much as I had hoped.

I would recommend that anyone who wants to read a book about a circus read "Water for Elephants" instead. But if you read that book already, and are looking for other circus books to entertain, this one will not disappoint.