A Holiday by Gaslight, by Mimi Matthews

betherin02's review against another edition

This delightful novella boasts a myriad of clever contrasts: dingy streets of London and the snow-covered countryside, social expectations of the gentry and steady work ethic of tradesmen, cold manners and warm attraction. Matthews conveys vivid emotion with every glance, touch, and kiss. I highly recommend this story for any time of year!

keschneider's review

Very cute

eve_boobies's review

A truly enjoyable romance, I really liked our main leads. Sophie was a lovely protagonist, I really felt for her and the weight that was on her shoulders because of her family. Ned was also a favourite of mine. He was the sort of man that came across as quite cold and distant, but on the inside felt much more than anyone expects. He's my favourite sort of Love Interest. I really enjoyed his initial admiration of Sophie and the way he did whatever he could to impress her, you could really tell he respected her as a partner.

I only had a couple of issues with this:

1. Emily...I did not like her. She was spoiled and constantly disrespected not only the boys because they were "beneath her status" but also her sister that sacrificed so much. I did not care at all for her and Walter, in fact, I don't think she deserved him at all. Her "character development" was not justified in the slightest, especially because it gained praise that should have been directed at Sophie.

2. I HATED the Dad...like really, really. He was a terrible person that would rather see his family unhappy than give up his quest for modernity. And what's worse is, in the end, there wasn't even any justice for all his awful actions, in fact, he got exactly what he wanted. He claimed that his only legacy was his home, not his two loving children and wife, just because he didn't have a son...and that was that. They all had a happily ever after, this man wasn't even redeemed. As far as I'm concerned, the baddie won in this case.

Other than these two points, I thoroughly enjoyed this read. It was short, sweet and simple.

ufcasey's review

I rarely read "holiday" books during the holidays. I think it's because usually I am stressed out about the holidays and thus do not want to be reminded of them while I am doing the one thing that de-stresses me: reading. But, this year I am happily ahead of the decorating/gift giving game and so I gave this one a go - and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it! Granted, the plot is really not that much about Christmas, it just takes place during that time and the main characters do some Christmas-y things inbetween all the romantic tension. This is a clean romance if you care about that sort of thing.

panickat123's review

hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

chavalaruth's review

emotional funny hopeful mysterious medium-paced

astrangegirlsmind's review

illusie's review

The romance felt awkward at first, but got better later on. It still felt flat. There was no spark and not a lot of emotions. Despite that it was a cute story.

kerryanndunn's review

“I don’t know if courtship is comfortable in my world or anywhere. The truth is, you’re the first gentleman who’s ever asked leave to court me.”⁣

This Victorian Christmas novella is pure charm and swoon and romance. This story has been all over and you don’t need my additional rave review on top of everyone else’s, but let me just say, Ned and Sophie’s tentative journey of a courtship to love is a sweetly satisfying story that made my heart swell and put a permanent grin on my face. A delight.

maddie0711's review

“I intend to kiss you this Christmas.”