Leah on the Offbeat, by Becky Albertalli

thegrlwhoreads's review against another edition

"Leah on the OffBeat" takes place the last few months before Leah graduates from high school. Lately she is feeling like she cannot keep up with her long time friends. Her group starts to crack and divide, and the pressure of ending high school and saying goodbye is clearly getting to her. Plus, she realizes that her own feelings towards a certain somebody could create even more problems. Leah is, literally, offbeat.

"Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda" is still my favourite book from the Simonverse. I did enjoy the novel overall, but I felt that I was just more hooked with Simon's story. I was more than thrilled to dive into Creekwod's literary universe, it's just so authentic and Becky's able to cover so many relevant topics such as identity, racism and homophobia. I cannot wait for "Love, Creekwood" (which is supposed to be the end of the Simonverse) that's coming out later this year! Have you read anything by Becky Albertalli? Did you like it?

crernst25's review against another edition

It was honestly so refreshing to see such a well-written, openly bisexual character. Albertalli is such a great author and just knows how to write LGBTQ+ characters so perfectly.

anagha585's review against another edition

My Best Friend Kangs™ and I were discussing this the other day, and I realized I actually have quite a lot to say about this book.

Honestly, it was somewhat disappointing . Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda is one of my absolute favorite YA contemporaries, so it's safe to say I had high-ass expectations for this book. Furthermore, I'd read 2 or 3 really good reviews for this, so yeah. I was psyched.

The first thing that let me down immediately was Leah's character. Frankly, she seemed like a completely different Leah. Definitely not the sensitive, mostly-nice, slightly-insecure, uses-sarcasm-as-a-defense-mechanism, complex AND realistic Leah I read about in Simon. She didn't seem to care about her "best friend" Nick's feelings nearly as much as she should have. All her caring, kind qualities seemed to have disappeared as she became the classic Snarky™ YA heroine in this book. (Also, can I just add that I would get one tight thappad if I spoke to my mom the way Leah spoke to hers). I guess this difference could be interpreted as how Simon views Leah vs how Leah views herself, but she just felt so foreign to me that I couldn't bring myself to believe that.

Regarding the other characters, there were so many that I didn't give a flying fig—not even one flying fig—about. Anna, for example, literally had no contribution to the plot (that I can remember), besides trying to bridge the gap between Leah and her racist friend. And much like Leah, many of the characters seem to have undergone a personality transplant (see: Abby Suso and Nick Eisner).

As for the actual plot of the story, there wasn't much of one. I believe the main story-line was centered around the road trip that Abby and Leah take to visit UGA. Which wasn't really that exciting because nothing much happened, rather like the rest of this book. I guess the prom scene at the end was meant to be highly emotional as Leah and Abby were sobbing about how they couldn't be together because of Nick. Was I the only one who thought they were being extremely melodramatic? I mean, they're going to the same college and they're probably going to be roommates. They basically have their whole lives ahead of them but just have to wait like a month for Nick (who might I add is Leah's supposed best friend ) to somewhat heal. So, they were essentially weeping because they couldn't be each other's prom dates. Sheesh.

Though this review has been mostly negative so far, I actually did like the book. The love story wasn't horrible, and as much as I didn't like the changes in Abby and Leah's personalities, they definitely had chemistry. It was wonderful to see Simon and Bram happy in their relationship (the Love Actually promposal was everything). And unlike the previous book, the setting description in this book really hit home! I grew up in Atlanta and totally had an American Girl phase, and hence it was so much fun to see the crew wind up in the American Girl bistro in North Point mall and even comment on the creepy dollholders (which is exactly what they are) in the bathroom stalls. I actually burst out laughing. This sounds so cliché, but it was as though the author had taken a clip from my Childhood Memories Archive™ and put it on paper.

So, yeah. That's pretty much it. Here's my final verdict: disappointing compared to its predecessor, but still... enjoyable?

heartprint's review against another edition

I enjoyed this more than I originally foresaw. Leah's own voice was definitely different from Simon's from SVTHSA. Throughout the book, I felt the weight of the frustrations, joys and confusions she was going through. The topics that her storyline addresses that Simon never went through were threaded very subtly but thoughtfully. My heart felt warm and fuzzy at some parts, and collapsed at other parts. I'm glad to have finally read this after so long.

bb_laurens's review against another edition

It may have started out a little dry, but it was totally worth it in the end! The characters and situation were totally relatable, and it is difficult not to adore Leah.

emlavender's review against another edition

ok this book is just amazing.
sapphics? yes. simon and bram? yes. abby? the love of my life? YES.
need i say more?

rrosie_reads's review against another edition

I was super into this book... up until the last chapter. The ending was super rushed and I really wish she had gone into Nick’s reaction to Leah and Abby’s relationship. I also really wanted to know how Garret would’ve reacted to them. I feel like certain characters and plot points were focused on more than they should’ve been. I didn’t really get the whole Morgan making that racist comment plot point, like I understand the social commentary, I wish it just didn’t take up so much time.

savena's review against another edition

I didn't love this as much as Simon, but it was still so enjoyable and cute as expected. I wish we got to know a bit more about Garrett, and I personally felt that there were still questions unanswered and everything just cleaned up way too easily. Like what was that ending?? I don't agree. Nope.

peppermintnplottwists's review against another edition

So good. Harry Potter fans will love all the dropped references.

skoppelkam's review against another edition

YES! BISEXUAL! REPRESENTATION! IN! YA!

I feel that this will be an unpopular opinion, but I liked this one just as much as "Simon"