Adequate Yearly Progress, by Roxanna Elden

wesleydeeann's review against another edition

Unfortunately this book doesn’t really feel like fiction.

mccarleyjane's review against another edition

sad slow-paced

heather62's review against another edition

Depressing and highlights the reasons I never went into teaching in America.

vszupiany's review against another edition

The first few chapters stressed me out for both the teachers AND the students, and then I realized it's satire and enjoyed the rest of it. It is hilarious but also sad for so many kids trying to survive.

chickiebean_loves_books's review against another edition

dark funny reflective medium-paced

Five things about Adequate Yearly Progress by Roxanna Elden 5/5⭐️s

1. A book about teaching by a teacher.
2. At times funny…mostly because it’s so true.
3. Full of archetypal teachers and administrators but also so relatable.
4. It’s fiction…but it’s also “based on a true story”. The true story of educators all over this country.
5. I really enjoyed this. I think non-teachers would enjoy it too but might not fully comprehend the honest representation within its pages. It reads like something dystopian…but it’s reality now for so many teachers.

katieist's review against another edition

Just like teaching

Totally captures the teaching experience and the burnout culture of schools trying to overcome situational, unyielding obstacles to get or maintain AYP. Really felt the way I did at the end of a year in this setting at the end of the book.

drsus's review against another edition

While I wanted to like this, because it's about teachers and their experiences, I couldn't. It just seemed like a depiction of teacher stereotypes, and it's not to say that those stereotypes aren't true to an extent, but it's worrisome to me that teachers are depicted this way to the general public. It's one thing for those of us who are inside to mock ourselves, but it's different when you project them to the public and they don't have the same perspective, so they can't fully understand it.

I like, however, that it opens people's eyes to the crazy and delusional, and honestly damaging expectations put on teachers. Adequate yearly progress is an excellent choice of title and is what we are all hoping for, in life and in teaching. I just couldn't fully get on board. I can't quite put my finger on what was missing. Perhaps it was just too superficial.

kaitlynscupoftea's review against another edition

**I received this book from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review**

This novel was difficult for me to get through it as I thought I would like it more than I actually did. This novel showed a reasonable insight into classrooms in high schools today, and exactly what teachers go through on a daily basis. This book didn't evoke any type of emotion for me, I read it just to read it and move onto my next book.

kbenavidez44's review against another edition

reflective slow-paced

maddie_sundheim's review against another edition

funny hopeful lighthearted reflective relaxing medium-paced