The Midnight Library, by Matt Haig

happydillard's review against another edition

One of the most depressing, yet uplifting books I’ve ever read.

sisafa's review against another edition

dark emotional hopeful inspiring mysterious sad medium-paced

archiyanna's review against another edition

**I fluctuated between 3 and 4 stars, so I suppose 3.5 will do**

Rambling: ON

I wanted to love this. I really did. I was so excited for the book to arrive. I think maybe I had too high expectations for it. The Sylvia Plath quote is one of my favorites. The past few weeks, I've constantly been thinking about how I could turn back time, for more time to do things that would help me. Learn digital rendering, post processing, different softwares that would help me in the culmination of my college learning: my thesis. I thought about it, hell, I would have repeated this whole lockdown situation again just for more time. This was the perfect time to read the book. I love the premise. I love the idea. But the execution seemed a bit more self-help than what I expected. Additionally, the self help aspect was quite surface level for me. This is my first book from Matt Haig so I don't really know his works that well. Don't get me wrong, I guess it s a good book, but if it was presented more as that maybe I wouldn't have been as disappointed. I loved the science aspect of it. I wish there was more of that. Also I think that I wasn't as attached to the characters. Nora was alright. I had a hard time grasping that she was 35, maybe because it seems such a faraway age for me. The others were just background characters, I had no care for them really (except Molly, she was adorable). I don't know. I'm not in the mood to process things right now. Perhaps I'll read it another time and have a different opinion.

I guess I expected it to be more. Much more.

And here my therapist would say, its because of expectations that I am disappointed in myself. And definitely in this book.

Rambling: OFF

selwa_k_22's review against another edition

challenging emotional hopeful reflective sad slow-paced

shifa_sarguru's review against another edition

This was a short and insightful read. I could tell where it was going from the beginning but I think the takeaway is not the plot but the little things that happen along the way. It was really heartwarming to feel the infinite possibilities play out. Regret is a heavy suitcase we all carry around--I suppose in a way, I felt lighter after reading this book.

laceyo_reads's review against another edition

inspiring reflective medium-paced

Good perspective of life. Like how it made me think of how to improve life and take chances. No one life is better than another, it’s just your perspective of it.

sragvi's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful inspiring reflective medium-paced

sophl20's review against another edition

This book has a wide range of critic and it made me hesitate at first to read this one but I don't regret it.
The idea behind this book is really interesting, it makes you think and even gives you some physic laws so you actually don't think this is all fiction and no way it can be true. It makes you think about the ways you can live and literally every decision you make could chance everything for you. Furthermore the author choses lots of philosophical aspects and quotes some beautiful texts.
Sure, midway the book you can predict the ending but it was still beautifully to read and very satisfying in my opinion.
If you let it, this book makes you think over your life and decisions and I think I'll think about it more often now in my daily life.

yourdailyremindertoread's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny hopeful inspiring mysterious reflective fast-paced

heretoread's review against another edition

hopeful reflective medium-paced