Batman Vol. 1: I Am Gotham by Scott Snyder, Tom King

daileyxplanet's review against another edition

It's been a while since I've read a Batman book and have decided to continue my slow crawl into the current Era. I loved Snyder's run and King has a lot to live up to. I like the concept of a Superman for Gotham, but I feel like Batman trusts Gotham and Gotham Girl too soon. Interested in reading more.

xsleepyshadows's review against another edition

After the hit and the misses with the re-birth so far I was actually pretty please with this one. I like Batman so far and his dynamic with Alfred is very strong. If you want a strong Batman I think you need a strong Alfred...People often forget how cool and essential Alfred is to Batman and the Bat-Fam so I'm glad he is in this one with some good scenes.

Anyway, I liked this volume in particular with the dynamics of Gotham they city itself and what it represents. Gotham is the city that made Batman hard but also is what gave Gotham the hero it deserves. Someone who uses fear and darkness to make the city a better place. Interestingly enough this inspires some other heroes who become obsessed with Batman and they care enough about Gotham to [ buy some super powers (hide spoiler)] protect it. They start of nice enough but ultimately fail in the worst kinda way. This is what the city takes from you if your not strong enough to handle some failure. Ultimately Gotham and Gotham girl (finally I know where they came from! I read Batman: Night of the Monster Men before this volume) wills are broken. The only way to fix Gotham is to destroy it then realizing that Batman IS Gotham. Pretty awesome to think of Gotham, a place and also a Hero, has it's own dynamics with characters. It's also amazing to think about Batman really having such a big impact on the citizens of Gotham that they want to protect the city also.

I'm very interested to see where this is going...Will there be more Heroes/ Villains that are untrained and have their own version of justice? What will happen when normal citizens can obtain powers? ~Ashley

The only thing that kinda confuses me is this seems to be leading into Batman: Night of the Monster Men which kinda read like a climax ...are they related?

webjoram's review against another edition

En cierta forma este cómic es un forma de reinicio del personaje sin olvidar todo lo realizado en años anteriores. Tom King coge a Batman y todo lo vivido en años anteriores y plantea un giro de en los acontecimientos que va a enfrentar en el futuro. Me gusta mucho el título de este volumen porque con 3 simples palabras se abre un abanico enorme de interpretaciones, ¿Quien es Gotham? Batman?, ese nuevo héroe llamado así mismo con el nombre de su ciudad, o Gotham es simplemente Gotham la ciudad que aplasta, machaca, y tortura a sus habitantes esperando ver si estos se hunden o resurgen mejores. Un buen volumen que tiene un final que te obliga a leer su continuación donde seguramente veremos a Batman enfrentar algunos de sus peores miedos...

stormblessed4's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious medium-paced

asparkofc's review against another edition

I love Alfred

davidchanza's review against another edition

Yo Soy Gotham. Con este título te da la sensación que vas a encontrar un Batman diciendo muchas cosas respecto a su ciudad, pero no, no trata sobre eso y muy pronto te presentan a unos nuevos personajes que van a ser realmente los protagonistas de la historia.

Buena historia, pero con la sensación de que le falta algo para ser mejor, sobre todo por el final algo abierto (evidentemente) de toda la historia.

Dibujo muy molón.

mazloum's review against another edition

An okay start to the overarching story being told in this series now. Tom King is definitely capable of imbuing his characters with a whole lot of pathos.

wbfreema's review against another edition

Not the greatest of Batman stories by far. but what makes it wonderful, is the reduction of the entirety of Batman's purpose into one simple panel. That panel has such emotional weight.

There are technical issues, the setup, the pacing. it feels like some of the narration is left out, like poorly edited, left out. but it is very satisfying seeing someone distill so clearly the POINT of Batman.

rbreade's review against another edition

Tom King is also the writer of that amazing Vision graphic novel I reviewed earlier. His work here on Batman is almost as good, which means it's great.

daanquixote's review against another edition

dark mysterious reflective fast-paced