yasmijn3's review against another edition

challenging emotional sad medium-paced

skstelte's review against another edition

The best memoir I've ever read. Also the most difficult to get through. As a woman, I've unfortunately experienced my fair share of injustices at the hands of men. Bad things, wrong things...illegal things. Felonies. Having to traverse the legal nightmare that Chanel did is another violation. This completely shines a light on why victims are silent. Life is much easier to live when you stuff things away and just move on the best you can with the damage done. She's a brave woman and a stellar writer. The tie-ins to the inauguration and Kavanaugh appointment are PTSD-inducing. I admire her so much for fighting this fight.

gtrue21's review against another edition

challenging emotional

rachelk's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad tense

katemarlowe's review against another edition

challenging emotional hopeful inspiring sad tense medium-paced

In Know My Name, Chanel Miller tells her survival story, getting the chance to give her account of one of the most famous sexual assault cases of the century. As you read, you learn that Chanel Miller, known to the world as Emily Doe, had to relive her experience for years afterward, being dragged through a public court case that inevitably failed to support her, victimizing the assaulter, and further perpetuating a narrative that forces survivors into hiding. This memoir showcases how a failed justice system and a conditioned society make it impossible for survivors of sexual assault to come forward. It was not an easy story to listen to, but Chanel’s response is courageous, and every survivor’s story is more than worth the time. She guides us through the series of events, giving every gritty detail but in a way that cradles those of us who have been in the same position. I chose to listen to the audiobook version as it was read by the author herself. Listening to her tell the story, you could hear in her voice the frustration of having to deal with court date after court date as well as the excitement she got from simply getting to be creative on good days. She did not hide after so much exposure, literally and very physically. She flowered by getting on stage or writing down her thoughts and sharing them with the world. It isn’t fair or right that we still live in a time where women are fighting for the right to be respected or even considered human, but it is vital to listen and hear stories like Chanel’s so we can learn to stop giving credence to the abuser and give back power to those who are abused.

etyines's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional hopeful reflective sad tense medium-paced

gut-wrenching, grueling, tear-inducing. such a well-written account of an ugly ugly thing. fuck all assaulters!!!

ella_marieee's review against another edition

challenging emotional hopeful informative inspiring reflective fast-paced

lexishimanovsky's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional funny hopeful inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

offbrandclubsoda's review against another edition

challenging emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

Incredible memoir. Powerful, eloquent, vital. 10/10

Audiobook is read by the author and is very well done.

litwithlani_'s review against another edition

challenging emotional reflective slow-paced