maylingkuo's review against another edition

thanks to chanel miller for the absolute gift of this book. i experienced such a range of emotion in reading this memoir - love, empathy, rage, desperation, melancholy, frustration, connection. what makes this book incredible is not what she went through, but instead her reflection on the assault's impact on her life, her identity, society, institutions and connections to current events. she's wise beyond her years and through this narrative shared what it means to grapple with sexual violence, loss of memory, and the court system. my understanding of what survivors encounter in the hospital, with law enforcement and others has expanded, and for this i'm grateful. she writes with sensory detail that brought me into each setting and uses strong metaphors.

everyone should read 'know my name.' it's important and thought provocative. in hallway conversations i've had with friends and colleagues, they've brought up things like - it might make them feel sad or be too difficult to read. that they heard it wasn't written by her (an infuriating comment, that i'm glad miller addresses regarding the victim statement). we have a huge sexual violence and consent problem. going through this experience through the author's eyes helps anyone gain empathy and see the complexity and wrongness of not only our legal institutions, but also our social understanding and language around sexual violence. she asks basic questions that demonstrate the ridiculousness of how survivors vs. perpetrators get treated socially and legally. the physical, emotional and financial costs required to bring cases to court are too high.

i found this text smart, brave and strong. the topic is urgent and her last paragraph written to survivors left me feeling inspired.

amydobrzynski's review against another edition

challenging dark inspiring medium-paced

eleonore's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

zaravive's review against another edition

This book is excruciatingly visceral. Chanel Miller is incredibly talented in telling this incredibly complex story in detailed and clear language, having an intricate understanding of emotions and how the personal (emotions, cognitions and behavior) is interconnected with society (systems, laws, institutions, media). The “I” never exists in isolation. I will carry the resonating deep truths this book has uncovered with me for a very very long time.

The feelings this story awoke in me, were very palpable: At one point I got physically nauseous and had to stop reading for a while. Not because this story is sensational: not once does it veer in that direction. But simply because it is so shockingly real.

mika99999's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional hopeful informative reflective sad medium-paced

anyazz's review against another edition

inspiring, hauntingly beautiful, everyone should read this

mariathelibrarian's review against another edition

challenging emotional slow-paced

kdinnocenti's review against another edition

I went into this book curious for the story of what happened, but it’s what’s in between all of that that makes Chanel’s retelling so profound. What a talent she has to put the experience of being a woman, of being a victim, of being a witness, into words. I learned so much from her and feel more resilient and empathic as a result.

pebble's review against another edition

dark emotional informative reflective sad tense

thisbookbelongstopam's review against another edition

dark emotional hopeful inspiring sad medium-paced

I finished reading this today and it somehow wrecked and uplifted me all at the same time. It was difficult to read but for every word I read, I felt like I was taking in a little bit of the courage and strength that Chanel has. To walk on Earth with women like her is a damn honor.