sunsetsunflower's review against another edition

dark emotional sad tense medium-paced

“I encourage you to sit in that garden [at Stanford] but when you do, close your eyes, and I’ll tell you about the real garden, the sacred place. Ninety feet away from where you sit there is a spot where Brock Turner’s knees hit the dirt, where the Swedes tacked him to the ground, yelling ‘What the f*** are you doing? Do you think this is okay?’ Put their words on a plaque. Mark that spot, because in my mind  I’ve erected a monument. The place to be remembered is not where I was assaulted, but where he fell, where I was saved, where two men declared stop, no more, not here, not now, not ever.”

“This book does not have a happy ending. The happy part is there is no ending, because I’ll always keep finding a way to keep going.”

I had to set this book down many times because of all the intense emotions it made me feel. I felt so angry over how the justice system fails victims, how Stanford failed Chanel and then tried to patch it up by creating a garden where she was raped, the emotional weight her, her family and friends endured all throughout the trial and to this day.

This was a very hard book to read but too often as a society, we smooth over the cracks in our facade and look away from the pain, only wanting to see this idealistic and perfect thing. We ignore the bad, rewarding the society-accepted “good”. Chanel didn’t have the option to ignore the bad that was thrust onto her, she experienced society’s bad at full capacity. Seeing her shine a light on it, pulling back the curtain of what she went through to expose the cracks in our legal system, colleges and media, it was a much needed reality check.

Thank you, Chanel, for writing this book. Thank you for sharing your story with us all and continuing to fight.

poppyamber's review against another edition

emotional informative inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

lucyrudd's review

challenging emotional informative inspiring reflective sad tense medium-paced

prakriti_archit's review against another edition

dark emotional hopeful informative inspiring sad tense medium-paced

I knew the story that I was about to step into, but I never anticipated how beautifully it would be written. Chanel's writing is transcendental, crossing from page to reader like butter and cutting through time, age, gender, and racial divides to deliver one undeniable truth. Her truth. Her use of metaphors is brilliantly done, her description are vivid, and her ability to emulate emotions is immaculate. I am so honoured to have had the privilege to read this book.

rbacon's review

challenging dark emotional hopeful inspiring sad tense fast-paced
This book is truly phenomenal. It speaks to the fears of every woman and tells her she is not defined by them. It says our names and who we are is important. It also calls out systemic failure in systems we are taught to trust, saying excuses are not enough. Truth is truth, even when noone cam see it. I hope this book was healing for Chanel and she is able to continue to be a force to be reckoned with for future generations to remember.

lucinotlucy's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional inspiring medium-paced

sarahmae531's review against another edition

challenging emotional inspiring sad tense medium-paced

aimzthereader's review against another edition

challenging emotional informative inspiring medium-paced

kamin8882's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional hopeful informative inspiring sad tense slow-paced

Chanel Miller is one of the strongest, most courageous women. What a beautiful and heart breaking story.

allisoncc's review against another edition

challenging emotional inspiring sad medium-paced

everyone should read this book

thousands of trigger warnings, but Chanel's story is essential.