sunsetsunflower's review against another edition

dark emotional sad tense medium-paced

“I encourage you to sit in that garden [at Stanford] but when you do, close your eyes, and I’ll tell you about the real garden, the sacred place. Ninety feet away from where you sit there is a spot where Brock Turner’s knees hit the dirt, where the Swedes tacked him to the ground, yelling ‘What the f*** are you doing? Do you think this is okay?’ Put their words on a plaque. Mark that spot, because in my mind  I’ve erected a monument. The place to be remembered is not where I was assaulted, but where he fell, where I was saved, where two men declared stop, no more, not here, not now, not ever.”

“This book does not have a happy ending. The happy part is there is no ending, because I’ll always keep finding a way to keep going.”

I had to set this book down many times because of all the intense emotions it made me feel. I felt so angry over how the justice system fails victims, how Stanford failed Chanel and then tried to patch it up by creating a garden where she was raped, the emotional weight her, her family and friends endured all throughout the trial and to this day.

This was a very hard book to read but too often as a society, we smooth over the cracks in our facade and look away from the pain, only wanting to see this idealistic and perfect thing. We ignore the bad, rewarding the society-accepted “good”. Chanel didn’t have the option to ignore the bad that was thrust onto her, she experienced society’s bad at full capacity. Seeing her shine a light on it, pulling back the curtain of what she went through to expose the cracks in our legal system, colleges and media, it was a much needed reality check.

Thank you, Chanel, for writing this book. Thank you for sharing your story with us all and continuing to fight.

poppyamber's review against another edition

emotional informative inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

shamuwilson's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad tense medium-paced

marinareads's review against another edition

challenging emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad tense medium-paced

jbraka's review against another edition

challenging emotional hopeful informative inspiring reflective sad tense slow-paced

chanel is a once in a generation writer. her prose is so human and yet so sophisticated, so illuminating. listening to her voice as she retold these events was an experience that can not be replicated. i felt like i knew her, like she was in the room with me. i am so comforted by her words and we all should be so honored she shared this vulnerable but resilient story with us. thank you, chanel.

vernaleo's review against another edition

challenging emotional inspiring reflective sad tense slow-paced

lindseyinthelibrary's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional hopeful informative inspiring reflective sad slow-paced

Chanel's story is poignant, heart-wrenching, vulnerable.

Take the time you need to read this one, but read it nonetheless.

maddietsteele's review against another edition

challenging emotional hopeful

wow wow wow Chanel was born to be a storyteller. Her voice is clear, shimmering, and observant. I felt incredibly immersed in each and every one of Chanel’s emotions. I cannot recommend the audiobook enough!!

anamsalcedo's review against another edition

challenging emotional inspiring tense medium-paced

lowen46's review

challenging dark emotional hopeful informative inspiring reflective medium-paced