bookish_wanderer's review against another edition

challenging emotional hopeful inspiring medium-paced

First of all, watch out for trigger warnings. This can be a tough read.

I'm actually not sure if I can to gather my thoughts well enough do this book justice. Let's try.

You might have heard of Chanel in the past but did not know her name. You knew her as the victim in a high-profile sexual assault case in the US, a victim of a "promising swimmer". Now Chanel wants to reclaim her identity and be known for the survivor she is, and oh so much more.

She's such a gifted writer, and the way she conveys her emotions, the anguish, the pain, and everything she and her family went through at the time is brilliantly done. It's raw, intimate and honest. It'll make you scream, cry and sometimes even laugh, as she also shares some lovely memories.

With this memoir we have the opportunity to see what can happen to survivors who try to get justice. It reminds us why so many assaults go unreported, under a system that favours attackers rather than protect their victims, and almost accepts that these acts are just an inevitable fact of life (especially on campus). Where if you're a promising jock or famous, rich white and male, you're often held at a different standard.

What does it say about our society, when people are angrier at a woman for "putting herself in that position" (BIG quotes here), rather than at the attacker for committing the crime? Where alcohol is a reason for leniency for the accused, but more of reason to blame the victim?
Where a promising career in sports is valued more than the sanctity of someone's body and dignity?

Seeing her strength while she fought through it all to come out where she is today is a message of hope, for all survivors out there.

I really recommend this memoir. It is powerful, and it is so important. There is still so much to change.

ameliasbooks's review against another edition

dark emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

ioannakarras's review against another edition

challenging emotional hopeful reflective medium-paced

I don't even know where to begin with this book. I was so scared it would be didactic, or overly depressing (which it had every right to be) but I honestly only found it captivating, painfully honest and raw, and surprisingly hopeful. It really does make you think in the most natural way possible, and Miller is a genius for addressing her situation in the way she did.

jerusha's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional hopeful informative inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

svarshi's review against another edition

challenging emotional reflective sad medium-paced

melirose1998's review against another edition

challenging emotional inspiring medium-paced

tamararosic's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional funny hopeful informative inspiring sad fast-paced

Utterly blown away by the writing and honesty in this book. I cried multiple times, but left it feeling so inspired and aware of my own power and abilities. We are not defined by the worst things that happen to us.

skudiklier's review against another edition

emotional inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

This book is powerful, beautifully written, and both validating and infuriating. I had to stop reading at times because I was so angry, and of course it made me cry (though not as much as I would have anticipated, honestly). I got to listen to Chanel Miller read the book out loud, and I'm so glad I did. She reads it more slowly than I would have read a physical copy, and I'm grateful for spending the extra time sitting with this book and what happens in it. It made me realize things about some loved ones that I'd never considered before, and it made me realize things about myself, too. I'd recommend this book to anyone (and also recommend you follow @chanel_miller on Instagram because her comics are funny and inspirational and I just love the things she creates).