amandafaria's review against another edition

emotional hopeful informative inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

mgnschmtt08's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional hopeful informative inspiring sad slow-paced

wrackcity's review against another edition

emotional inspiring reflective slow-paced

njm1993's review against another edition

challenging emotional informative inspiring reflective sad tense medium-paced

amberlfletch's review against another edition

emotional hopeful inspiring medium-paced

kayjayelle's review against another edition

emotional hopeful sad

This book is a mosaic - beauty made out of shattering.

bookaholics_anonymous's review against another edition

informative inspiring sad medium-paced

sunsetsunflower's review against another edition

dark emotional sad tense medium-paced

“I encourage you to sit in that garden [at Stanford] but when you do, close your eyes, and I’ll tell you about the real garden, the sacred place. Ninety feet away from where you sit there is a spot where Brock Turner’s knees hit the dirt, where the Swedes tacked him to the ground, yelling ‘What the f*** are you doing? Do you think this is okay?’ Put their words on a plaque. Mark that spot, because in my mind  I’ve erected a monument. The place to be remembered is not where I was assaulted, but where he fell, where I was saved, where two men declared stop, no more, not here, not now, not ever.”

“This book does not have a happy ending. The happy part is there is no ending, because I’ll always keep finding a way to keep going.”

I had to set this book down many times because of all the intense emotions it made me feel. I felt so angry over how the justice system fails victims, how Stanford failed Chanel and then tried to patch it up by creating a garden where she was raped, the emotional weight her, her family and friends endured all throughout the trial and to this day.

This was a very hard book to read but too often as a society, we smooth over the cracks in our facade and look away from the pain, only wanting to see this idealistic and perfect thing. We ignore the bad, rewarding the society-accepted “good”. Chanel didn’t have the option to ignore the bad that was thrust onto her, she experienced society’s bad at full capacity. Seeing her shine a light on it, pulling back the curtain of what she went through to expose the cracks in our legal system, colleges and media, it was a much needed reality check.

Thank you, Chanel, for writing this book. Thank you for sharing your story with us all and continuing to fight.

poppyamber's review against another edition

emotional informative inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

shamuwilson's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad tense medium-paced