None of This is True by Lisa Jewell

afrathefish's review against another edition

i’m struggling bc that was the most hooked i’ve been in a book in the last month. SO tense i started feeling sick at certain moments. literally was gripped the entire way home. the writing and characterisation of every character bar the main subject of the book was done quite well. like i was gorilla gRIPPED THE ENTIRE TIME

saying that. oh my god. very tired of the ‘fake victim’ narrative. it could’ve worked in this context, had we not like . tried to girlboss a 13 year old being pedoed. had that subtext been taken entirely out. so much more could have been said about the “autopsy” of a victim if that entire narrative was taken out.

the ending annoyed me. it echoed the cheap,  ‘letter’ at the end of colleen hoover’s verity, just a nonsensical perspective that ended up undermining the plot and instead poked glaring plot holes , if that last perspective is to be believed.

all in all. i think my mate iris needs to read this. but for me, the writing is very engaging, and in audiobook format it was delicious. however certain choices have me glancing at this book sideways, upside down, and ready to burn it :).

dustyshell's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense

It's been a minute since a thriller had me hooked in so deep that I kept finding excuses to get back to the book throughout my daily routine. This one did.

Two 45 year old women who share a birthday meet and their stories begin to intertwine in ways that will leave you questioning, guessing, confused, and raising eyebrows from the first page until the end.

I do wish there was a bit less language, but that's a personal filter. Otherwise, top notch thriller that will leave you itching to figure out how it ends.

rachel_nutter's review against another edition

Unsettling. 10/10 thriller read

laurenmmurphy's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense fast-paced

alliochoa's review against another edition

dark mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

venusaur's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

slymiboy's review against another edition

dark mysterious medium-paced

kiwi423's review against another edition

dark mysterious sad tense fast-paced

devonmikayla's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense fast-paced

maisymaze's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense fast-paced

It was so easy to get lost in this book even from the start. You get just enough information to keep you guessing what is happening and forming theories in your head. I just had to figure out what was going on and couldn’t quit reading.

I think fans of Freida McFadden would also enjoy this. The plot has a similar feel to her books and it is fast-paced with twists and turns.

I would have given this 5 stars but there were a couple aspects of the story that I didn’t like. I can’t really say without spoiling it though.