The Factory Witches of Lowell, by C.S. Malerich

faenairth's review

adventurous hopeful tense fast-paced

hfreedman's review

postpluvium's review

Union witches win from the capitalists.

Liked the premise, but it felt kind of lacking. Took me a while to realise who was speaking, and I think it could’ve benefited from being a little longer and more worked out.

Cute little build up to the relationship though.

MCs are sapphic.

chalkletters's review

inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

In comparison to a lot of the books I read for book club, The Factory Witches of Lowell is a short, sweet, uncomplicated story. There’s not a lot of world building to get lost in, but just enough to sell the story of female empowerment and female characters discovering their collective and individual strengths. C S Malerich invites you straight into the story with a spell that genuinely weaves through the plot of The Factory Witches of Lowell in a way that I really enjoyed.

Unfortunately, the climax and the ending don’t quite pack the same punch. The characters face a problem which seems insurmountable, until suddenly they’ve unlocked the whole thing and their primary antagonist folds instantly. I won’t say that there’s no catharsis in that, nor does it come completely out of nowhere, but it didn’t feel entirely satisfying. Similarly, the ending wraps up quickly, despite the hints that there is more struggle still to come.

The strength of The Factory Witches of Lowell is in the way C S Malerich ties together witchcraft, more mundane forms of craft, and women’s work. I particularly enjoyed that defying a man was seen, by at least one man, as a symptom of witchcraft. The images of the women working together, casting their spells and sharing their strengths, are very powerful.

The fact that C S Malerich left us wanting so much more is surely a sign that she’s an author to look out for.

theeprincessduhh's review

3.5/5
This was an interesting book, weird but interesting.. its basically about witches and getting rights when there were none for women. Outside of that it was just a nice quick book to get you into a reading mood

ham_pancake's review

4.5 stars

tattooedbibliophile's review

I think that The Factory Witches of Lowell is an amazing story. And I think that I would have loved it more had I not JUST read Once and Future Witches and had that to compare it to. Because I love the women’s rights. I love the women supporting women but struggling with their own families as well. I love the witch lovers and the whole idea of the book.

But it just didn’t go deep enough. It was more like a novella. A flat lay plot without layers, scenes or parts. No twists or turns. Frankly I just wanted more.

sophielophie's review

A group of working women form a union and use witchcraft to fend off their unlawful boss, achieving equity in the process (also happens to be sapphic)... this right here is the book I wish I wrote.