Malibu Rising, by Taylor Jenkins Reid

lizthunder's review against another edition

emotional inspiring reflective fast-paced

libbyferg99's review against another edition

emotional hopeful reflective sad medium-paced

rachael_pawlak's review against another edition

My fav TJR book so far! I just love family dramas. The structure of the book worked for me. Part One alternates between two different storylines - - the 1950s to the 1980s, where you get to learn about the Riva family, and “present day,” a 24-hour period on August 27, 1983. Part Two is when the drama really escalates, all focused on the evening hours of August 27.

ilana_pop's review against another edition

adventurous emotional fast-paced

I'm really not into celebrity culture and reading books that revolve only around the subject might seem a waste of time. (That' why I didn't enjoy her other books) This one however, for the first part, didn't (as much) involve celebrities and the whole world around it. It felt more authentic to me and for the first time in a Taylor Jenkins-Reid novel I actually cared about the characters! I felt for the Riva siblings, was hurt when they were struggling, hated Mick Riva at certain points and loved yet felt annoyed at June.
Part two was a little bit lost on me in some places. Especially when a whole chapter revolved around a random celebrity who was never mentioned  again in the rest of the story.
If you love Taylor Jenkins-Reid, you'll enjoy this one. If you don't, maybe give this one a try, it's quite a bit different than her other novels.

raegold's review against another edition

poppykelly's review against another edition

miss taylor never misses. i actually loved all the characters and how it switched from past to present. i low-key thought it would have a different ending but i’m not mad i thoroughly enjoyed it. i sense an end to my reading slump

katelong11's review against another edition

emotional funny lighthearted tense fast-paced

sarahberbs's review against another edition

This book just further solidifies my love for TJR

stephjez's review against another edition

*4.5* it was a perfect beach read. Great plot line and character development of the main character. Evelyn Hugo is better.

mrsleahr's review against another edition

This book was back and fourth, and so so busy. The amount of people that you were introduced to were very hard to follow. It took a long time to get to the point that was very obviously coming, and when it did, it was underwhelming. However I will mention that the underlying plot of the love for family, was warm and enjoyable to watch them go through trials and tribulations together.