Reviews for The Complete Gillian Flynn: Gone Girl, Dark Places, Sharp Objects, by Gillian Flynn

emilychu23's review

I love Amy Dunne.

bulletproofisobel's review

I don't know if you should read the book or watch the movie first. They are both great and the twist, when it comes, it still feels unexpected. I like the two person perspective, the male and female. Yes, it's an extreme version of a marriage but more than half of the things 'confessed' ring true. We've all been in Amy's and Nick's shoes. We all pretend, in some way, in the beginning of a relationship. Some of us choose to stop before the other or carry on even when the other has stoped.

Give this book to someone you.....love?

maria1f659's review

Honestly one of the best books I've ever read. It was my first thriller, way out of my reading comfort zone, and yet I so thoroughly enjoyed it. It's definetly opening my eyes to a lot of other books I wouldn't normally read, and I'm very thankful for that. The characters are so delicious and unlikable, and I love the bits of insights into their psyche- I do this like that because my father did this and that. I was aware of the plotpoint happening halfway through, so my experience in the beggining was slightly hindered, but once we got to the halfway point, I could not put the book down. I loved reading from the perspective of such a smart character, found it fascinating, especially because they still managed to feel so real. Can't wait to check out more books from both this genre and from this author.

sofialister's review

maybe i'll pick it up again at some point, but i just kinda don't care. perhaps the movie will do me

nilanjana's review

Messed up characters alert.
This is a either love it or hate it thriller; so... Yeah
I'm not going to lie, this is sloooowwww. Like slow slow. And I have started this book so many times and just kept it down and not picked it up.
But man was this a very dysfunctional relationship that made me so intrigued. This is an amazing psychological thriller.
And contrary of popular belief I really liked the ending. Everything that happened had so many layers and meaning that made it so twisted. This is one of those books that keeps you thinking about it from different angles.

aurabux's review

2 stars
Definitely not for me. I was so bored and the characters were so unlikable they felt very unrealistic.
I don't care about the characters. I loved dark places. Everyone says the 2nd half is better. But I'm just really annoyed why you marry someone you don't really know.....
The plot was all over the place. I personally hate books that just leave you in the dark and through you around timelines. Furthermore, because I felt so in the dark and had no clue what was going on and why should I care except "my wife is gone and people think I killed her".

kisha's review

Intriguing development using POV but it left much to be desired.

macnbooks's review

so um psycho bitch.... yes that's absolutely correct

prosewhore's review

***** SPOILERS *****

I thought this book was absolutely brilliant. While reading the first part, I thought of every possible reason why Amy could be missing, so much so that even though the idea that she simply left her husband crossed my mind I wasn't near sure it was gonna be it. Her character is so well thought and interesting although of course the more I read the more I despised her.
When I read the last line my first reaction was to violently close the book on the chair next to me. I was so angry that Amy was still "out there", that she was going to be a mother and that she forced Nick to stay. But then I came to the realisation that he was just as mad as she was, their relationship is as toxic as can be and they both feed on that. I feel somewhat sorry for the both of them.
I hoped that one would kill the other, making for a dramatic and passionate ending but this was really the best way to write it. The most unpredictable end. The psychological aspect of this book greatly appealed to me.
*Mind blown*. This is a truly amazing read (Amazing, get it ?) !

sharpobjects's review

I've read Flynn's other two novels, saw the movie for this one, basically I knew I was going to love Gone Girl. The ending is still quite frustrating, but the rest was gripping, dark and fast-paced. I really hope Gillian Flynn will come out with another book soon!

*last book to complete my goodreads challenge 2017*