A Princess in Theory by Alyssa Cole

michelle904's review

This was book #61 for Romanceopoly 2020.

Pack: Sun
Square: Campus Corner
Challenge: Read a new adult where the h/H is a nerd

akoala's review against another edition

emotional funny lighthearted slow-paced

captwinghead's review

3.5 stars

I'm quite fond of the "long lost royal" plot. I think it's even more special when it happens to Black characters. That on its own was a great concept, but the execution of the romance aspect of this novel was a bit lacking for me personally.

First of all, the set up makes Thabiso look awful.
He quickly finds out that Ledi has no clue who he is and he still pursues and sleeps with her anyway. Not only is that incredibly gross (and Olivia Benson would certainly have something to say about it), but he lies to her knowing she's an orphan. He finds out her grandparents are dying of an illness and still doesn't tell her. He used her past experience with emotional trauma regarding her childhood as an out to continue lying to her. Made worse by Likotsi being the only one with some sense and continously telling him he's being an ass.

The sex scenes weren't my favorite. Some of the language used was just incredibly unsexy to me personally.
They had sex in such steamy locations such as an elderly neighbor's plastic covered couch and a cave on a mountain near a donkey. That didn't work for me personally.

Also, they knew each other for like a week? I'm glad they don't officially start dropping the l word until they'd (presumably) spent more time together in Thesolo, but they were more attached than I entirely understood near the end of Thabiso's time in New York.
Oddly enough, the romance was the weakest part of the book for me?

I enjoyed the political plot. I'd read A Duke by Default and A Prince on Paper before this, so I knew the outcome of the disease plot. It was interesting seeing Ledi get to know her cousin and see her homeland. I wish we got a bit more on her parents, but I appreciated what we got of Ledi in Thesolo.

Having loved A Duke by Default, I was bummed by how unlikable I found Portia in this book. She's selfish, self-centered, and seemed to hurt Ledi more than she helped her.
Aside from helping connect her with a scientist for her grad assignment, she was more of a nuisance.
I remember A Duke by Default starting with Portia trying to turn over a new leaf, but I was still surprised by how possessive and mean she was to Ledi.
And to not tell her about Thabiso's secret when she knew how Ledi had severe trust issues? I'm actually surprised they remained friends.

Anyway, I enjoyed the political story and Ledi reconnecting with her homeland. I wasn't that into Ledi and Thabiso's romance, though.

rosered879's review against another edition

lighthearted medium-paced

sthg_sofia's review against another edition

(3,5)

danarossa's review against another edition

Нудятіна.
Ніякої хімії.
Ніякого tension.
Нічого.
Читала по діагоналі. І після того, як вона дізналася, що він принц - взагалі кинула.
Вона коштувала 2 доллара.
За ці гроші можна купити 2 half a soul

swagner718's review

<B>✨The Princess Diaries
✨Coming to America
✨The Prince & Me</b>

Now imagine if you will, that these three <i>excellent</i> movies somehow had a sexy love child.
That would be this book.

I desperately wanted to be <i>Amelia Mignonette Grimaldi Thermopolis Renaldo</i> when I was a child, so this book was right up my alley. I'm still holding out hope that I'm a long lost royal heir to a throne somewhere.🤞🏻

melonpaper's review against another edition

adventurous emotional mysterious medium-paced

kikkireads123's review

lighthearted slow-paced

beyondevak's review

Quick Summary: I have a lot of different feelings about A Princess in Theory. This book was clearly a mix between Coming to America (the original) and Cinderella. It was funny. It was sad. It was enchanting. It was crude. It was sweet. I loved how the author approached the couple's reunion. She was able to show that they had a history together, and despite experiencing conflicts here and there, they were able to eventually move towards their destined HEA. Another thing that I appreciated was the fact that A. Cole showed that the characters - the main characters, as well as some of the supporting characters - demonstrated growth.

Rating: 3/5