A Love Hate Thing, by Whitney D. Grandison

lazygal's review against another edition

When you have what's essentially The O.C. with a racial twist told from two POVs, one a poor black boy and the other a rich white girl, that sound exactly the same, there needs to be something good to bring readers in. Sadly, no. DNF.

ARC provided by publisher.

snchard's review against another edition

I liked the concept, and I was hoping for an alternate reality Fresh Prince sort of thing, but this didn't really do it for me. The characters were pretty unlikable, and I know Nandy was meant to be awful and then grow as a person, but she never quite made the transition to someone I could root for.

mandymandyy's review against another edition

Such a good book! This book gave me a lot of insight, especially as a white woman. I got a sample of this book before I purchased it and while I wasn’t sure at first, by the time I got to the end of the sample I HAD to purchase the book. It was better than I could’ve imagined and just what I needed

sujata's review against another edition

3.5 stars

itssimplykayla_'s review against another edition

This book was so good. At times it was funny, sad, and heartbreaking. Through all of their twists and turns, stops and starts; I rooted for Trice and Nandy to make it. Trice went through so much in this book but I enjoyed seeing his transformation throughout the book. He had plenty of help via Travis, Shayne, Kyle, and the Smith family especially Nandy. Nandy had a transformation in this book too and it was good and necessary for her. Travis was an entertaining character even though he needs to work on how he treats women in the end he was a good friend to Trice. Prophet was like a big brother to Trice and I was glad that he was there to guide Trice in the right direction. I’m hopeful that Nandy and Trice have a wonderful future in the end.

leeandherbooks's review against another edition

3.5 stars.

readwithchey's review against another edition

DNF @ 48%

Okay, so I'm just going to be sharing some over arching thoughts that led me to not finish this ARC and I'll start with this: the writing. Almost immediately after I started I realized that this read a lot like a fan fiction, in a way. I can't pinpoint exactly where or why I felt this way, I just remember thinking it right off the bat and thinking about how almost.... far fetched this was.

I didn't like or connect with either character, or any side characters either. They were very flat and so incredibly inconsistent in their traits and personality. There were SO many stereotypes present, almost forced diversity in the community, and just a million other small things that I couldn't really get past. Also, there were a million 90's music references. It was nearly like this was set in the 90's. I don't know, man. I just wasn't into this at all.

wildflowerz76's review against another edition

I received a digital ARC of this title from Edelweiss for an honest review.

Tyson is recovering from a bullet wound and a big loss when he moves in with the Smiths. His grandfather used to be the groundskeeper for the Smiths and Tyson would come and play with their daughter, Nandy. Until one day he just stopped coming. Now Tyson is hard and unemotional. He grew up in a poorer part of town, while Nandy grew up in a super affluent area. Now it's hate at second sight for Nandy and Tyson. But they're living under the same roof, so can they get past that?

Fans of the enemies to love interests story and/or the TV show The OC will love this one.

However, while I did enjoy The OC back in the day, I did not care for this one. I didn't like any of the characters. They were all extremely one dimensional. Nandy was a brat and Tyson continually made stupid decisions. And while I love a girl gets the geek trope, the side story was lame.

Release Date: 01/07/20

ishika153's review against another edition

I just wasted 4hrs of my life

i_hype_romance's review against another edition

I was provided with an ARC of this title from the publisher and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was a solid read and kept me engaged. I did roll my eyes at Nan, she was a tamer version of Cher a la Clueless, but less self-aware. Trice's character was far more interesting.
What I didn't like:
- The character development was lacking. The author fell back on stereotypical representations that were flat and did not resonate with the complexity of today's society.
- The drama and conflict were too manufactured.
- The enemies to lovers trope fell short because of the lack of character development.

Recommended for a light read for fans of The OC, The Hills, etc. Not recommended if you are looking for a read similar to those of Nicola Yoon or Angie Thomas.

2.5 Stars