vandana's review against another edition

Useful and succinct. Although, a bit dated in some respects.

oliviaares's review against another edition

We had to read this book cover to cover in ap lang and I thought that was a stupid idea. You know what? I think about this book all the damn time. All. The. Damn. Time. Because a lot of eloquent writing is exclusive on purpose. The best writing is universal.

ellenkyo's review against another edition

informative medium-paced

louiselle's review against another edition

As a perfectionist who’s so afraid of being judged, I familiarized myself with most grammatical rules. Still, this book contained a few things I’m not much familiar with, so it comes in handy most of the time.

I read this last year as a preparation for wricons. Helped a lot.

book_ish's review against another edition

informative fast-paced

willdotcom's review against another edition

Without doubt the handiest book a writer could read when starting out. Full of the stuff people never remember,(or pretend they don't), myself included.

readutation's review against another edition

This is a really great book about grammar and the English style of writing. It’s short and sweet, but still, I’ve picked up so many things (I also discovered so many mistakes I’ve done — yikes). This is perfect for students, amateurs, and professionals. And as for writers, I can see now why my professors have always recommended that we read this book at least once a year. It is highly informative, and I’ll definitely come back to it in the future.

optimistchic's review against another edition

A great resource for writers and editors alike.

librarian_lisa's review against another edition

I am an English nerd and did in fact read this book for fun. I found it to be very informative and something that should be read by anyone who plans to write, using the English language, on a daily basis. Some of the grammar points by Strunk are slightly outdated, because as it is stated in the style section by White, English is not static and words are added to the language and taken away. Therefore hard grammar rules are much less timeless than style guidelines. However, even for some of the more obsolete grammar points, I did find it interesting to learn exactly where words were originally supposed to be used. I may just be an English nerd though.

jennadams's review against another edition

Is what it is, read it for the experience of having read it