Ruin and Rising, by Leigh Bardugo

tiredmfreads's review against another edition

Ang pagkamatay ng Darkling ay gawa-gawa lamang ng mga illuminati.

naomi_hannah's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious medium-paced

brigidcath's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark tense

hbreight's review against another edition

adventurous dark tense fast-paced

bad_bookworm_h's review against another edition

Urgh! Three stars is me being generous because of the first part of the book which was awesome. I’m so conflicted over this book. I was having a great time until it was revealed that Mal was the third amplifier and then the book just plummeted down from there. I’m so disappointed. I love this universe but I just think the ending was not right at all. It felt rushed and badly thought out.

I was planning on following this up with the duology so I could watch the tv show but after this ending I need a break for a while. The tv show will have wait for a moment while I get over this.

svstark's review against another edition

Though the story was good but i can't comprehend such easy end of long lived war.

momochii's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional funny hopeful mysterious medium-paced

sgeron's review

When I first read this series I didn’t like the ending at all. This reread has me appreciating it a lot more, especially since KoS and RoW are tied to many things that take place in this trilogy. All in all, it’s still not my favorite series by Bardugo, but I’m glad to appreciate it more especially before the show comes to Netflix in April 2021.

nickkk_'s review

adventurous dark funny mysterious sad medium-paced

philtatos's review against another edition

Actual Rating: 3.5

Darker than the first two books, Ruin and Rising is an amalgam of heartache, frustration, gloom, and an odd sense of satisfaction. To put it simply: it was a confusing and emotional rollercoaster (in a good way). Like a lot of people, I have mixed feelings. This book tore my heart, mended it, then tore it again in the most brutal way. But of course, I still had my issues.

Most of them actually had to do with pacing. Some had to do with how the book ended. Though I didn’t quite agree with the decisions made by Bardugo, admittedly, I was still pleased by how things wrapped up. On one hand, I feel like the ending was right. But on the other hand, I feel as though there could have been more to the story and to Alina’s arc. If that was what Bardugo was aiming for, then I applaud her for achieving her desired effect because I am equal parts frustrated and equal parts satisfied.