Hölmö rakkaus by Akwaeke Emezi

letamcwilliams's review against another edition

Realizing romance has to be in a fantasy world for me to be super into it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. These characters were very fun though, so 3 stars

silasburke's review against another edition

Akwaeke writes tension, anguish, and dialogue so well. I was so drawn in by this book, despite not loving a few aspects of it. I did love Amin’s persona though, and the way he communicated was kind of profound tbh. Yeah, mixed thoughts, but an extremely compelling read.

eriiica's review against another edition

Let me start by saying I listened to this audiobook. The narration was great! The story itself was very underwhelming.
I think this book touches on some important topics and dynamics, but nothing is really explored in depth. This makes it hard to really connect with the characters and to story in general.
The banter between characters is pretty good at some points which I enjoyed. Overall, though there's a weird dynamic that everything just feels like it's either way over the top unnecessarily or not enough details are provided at the same time. We know that Feyi is beautiful, she has a dead husband, and she isn't shy when it comes to sex. That's as deep as her character really goes. She eventually finds her main love interest but even their relationship seems very haphazardly connected. They really only share a trauma bond. That's the only connection we can really see from these two.
Making Nasir's the villain towards the end seemed kind of out of left field which was a little weird. He was nothing but great to Feyi at the beginning. Alim and Feyi totally turn on him though. Now, I can understand that Feyi did NOT owe a relationship to Nasir beyond maybe just friendship, but she really does him dirty at the end of the day.
Overall, I don't know how to feel about this read. Was it the worst thing I've ever read? No. Was it the best? Absolutely not.

bbbunniii's review against another edition

A beautifully written thought provoking story about love, grief, healing, and self discovery. This was an emotional roller coaster but easily one of my top 5 reads this year so far. Plus I just adore books about black women being loved and loved on just because

chloeashton's review against another edition

“He loved people being messy as fuck - he said it was one of the best things about being human”

I loved this book, it was sexy and funny and super enticing to read. Firstly can we take a moment to appreciate the covers artwork - not that you should judge a book by its cover but when the writing is as competent and compelling as the cover it’s impressive. Feyi is a strong female lead who suffers tragic heartbreak and I love her development moving forward whilst observing beautiful friendships. Plus did I mention there is a very attractive DILF… yes please.

Characters are lifelike, setting is immaculate (who wouldn’t want to be whipped off to a tropical island retreat!) and the story is forever evolving including fantastic characters. I particularly love how grief is demonstrated in snippets throughout, even in happiness Feyi still has her moments accurately portraying real life grief and ptsd.

moolissabarney's review against another edition

challenging dark reflective fast-paced

one star for good writing.
love is love but these people need to die

vick_reads's review against another edition

I wasn't really invested in this story until about 60%... and then it got GOOD. Man, the DRAMA. It was like a train crash I couldn't look away from. But it was also full of realness... the descriptions of grief and learning to love again were very well done.

mansireanna's review against another edition

hopeful fast-paced

1.5

Listen normally I am a a proponent of go girl fuck that old man when it comes to fiction but omg she absolutely should not have fucked that old man in this.
This whole thing was sooooo insufferable. It was a messy situation that did nothing to endear me to the people caught in it. Feyi could have been an interesting character, and I feel like Emezi was really trying to say something about grief, but it came off all wrong and instead she seemed motivated mostly by lust and her grief is secondary, especially as Jonah never felt like a real character but a plot device used to give Feyi some conflict. Joy was the only character I actually liked and she was absent for most of this, a real shame.
The writing was mostly fine, hence not quite a one star, but I did catch a sneaky ‘She let out a breath she didn’t know she had been holding’ that made me cringe.
Overall, had a bad time with this. I think it’s disingenuous for this to be billed as a fun steamy summer romance, but that is what the author was going for in the end. I rolled my eyes so many times in the latter half of the book and I think that speaks to why I don’t recommend it.

lynda_ohhh's review against another edition

Oh what a book! I really loved it, I found myself rooting for Feyi and Alim’s love. It’s beautiful how their experience with grief made them closer. Also love the Reader’s guide & conversation at the end.

foonislin's review against another edition

Cute romance that talked about grief well. I loved all the food it described, it really made me feel envious of the main character. Will probably read more from the author. all in all, I will probably forget this book in a week but i enjoyed it in the moment