Carry On by Rainbow Rowell

anthousainephelei's review against another edition

adventurous funny lighthearted mysterious tense fast-paced

elimoose23's review against another edition

every time I finish a rainbow Rowell book, I feel like a wonderful relationship has come to an end. I feel emotionally wrecked, distressed, and empty inside. and yet I feel so satisfied, giddy, and fulfilled. carry on might have been a story parodying a story inspired by another story, but that by no means dilutes its significance or its impact. the portrayal of Simon snow and this literally and figuratively magical world that spawned him is all at once charming, dangerous, and complex. as a writer who is absolute crap at the whole "beginning" and "ending" thing, I feel reassured that a book such as this, one that is supposed to have an established backstory that in the confines of the books universe exists but in reality does not, can be published and taken quite seriously. since I first picked up Fangirl, Rowell has inspired me like no other writer. that passionate, experimental, sincere voice of hers speaks with such crystal clarity to mine, it feels like coming home. like the writing I have always done which always felt so childish, so unsophisticated, so unrefined when held up to today's other literary greats, can find a comfortable, worthy home next to books like hers. thank you, ms. Rowell, not just for writing great stories, but for rewriting the profession. for inspiring myself, my students, and I'm sure countless others to believe in themselves.

elliottcrow's review against another edition

I love this book! It was one that my best friend got to me read and I read it so fast. I love the characters, the world and especially the type of magic they use.

amandavano's review against another edition

That was most excellent! I thought for sure it was a bit too close to Harry Potter buy it ended up being quite different in a good way!!! :) yay!

clairee_rees's review against another edition

Harry Potter if it started on book #7 and Harry and Draco ended up together at the end.

joie711's review against another edition

Not excellent writing, but a fun story.

summerpeonies's review against another edition

adventurous fast-paced
  • Loveable characters? N/A

debi_g's review against another edition

I just can't.

summerxstars's review against another edition

I LOVE THIS SO MUCH

becs_l's review against another edition

Normally an antagonistic relationship turned romance so quickly would make me roll my eyes and go "really??" However there is something about this story that just works. And I lapped it all up!! So good.