Closer to the Heart, by Mercedes Lackey

inferiorwit's review

funny inspiring lighthearted mysterious tense slow-paced

vkorval's review

adventurous funny lighthearted mysterious relaxing fast-paced

traveling_in_books's review

fast-paced

terrafyd's review

I have Mercedes Lackey for years upon years. I have got to say her villian in this story wasn't flushed out. All I saw was a cliché bad guy and how easily the story was wrapped up. It wasn't action packed and seemed a bit boring. Although her world building was excellent and all the other characters were interesting. I think she just needed to spend more time the story.

cynpra1520's review against another edition

Did not disappoint. I like the older Mags and Amily and their interactions. The increasing storyline around Lady Dia and now her husband Steveral is a welcome addition too.

taeli's review

read 10/22/15

kriz's review

Better than the first one, though I'm beginning to wonder a bit about all the people in Valdemar who don't seem to *get* Valdemar. On a completely unrelated note, *cough cough,* from here in August 2018 it seems strange that this book was finished and published way back in 2015.

Also, the editor *really* should have made Lackey take out the large blocks of explanatory stuff that were in this one *twice.* It's already annoying to have to skim through all that, which seems to appear in every one of her books lately, once.

morgandhu's review against another edition

Closer to the Heart is the second of Mercedes Lackey's Herald Spy novels, featuring Herald Mags as the spy and his lover Herald Amily as the King's Own Herald.

Mags' network of former pickpockets and street kids is now running smoothly - the "littles" working as messengers and errand boys in taverns and inns throughout Haven, and some of the older ones now being trained to service and placed in the homes of the upper class and wealthy. Not to be outdone, Amily comes up with a new scheme for placing observers in every home of note in the country. And Mags finds an unusual source of clever gadgets for the discerning secret agent or assassin. Meanwhile, there is a plot afoot to drag Valdemar into a very messy political situation, and that occupies our heroes for the latter half of the book.

I must confess to a degree of ambivalence about where this series is going. I like reading about spycraft, and this series, while light on adventures and battles and the like, spends a lot of time looking at the daily lives of people who gather information for their government. Being Heralds, they all have the purest of motives, but still... this is getting uncomfortably close to the paranoid state of many governments today, where there are as many surveillance cameras capturing every moment of our lives as possible, and laws protecting privacy are being eroded left, right and centre.

It's still fun to read about this stuff in a fantasy world, but the darker implications of spywork aimed at people not even suspected of wrong-doing is leaving a bitter aftertaste.

_misty_'s review against another edition

Slow.
I definitely liked the first one better, probably because Mags and Amily spend a good deal of time separated and I like them together. The formula is the same for all these books, a very slow build up and then it all gets resolved in the last 10% of the book.

berlinbibliophile's review

This conclusion of the subseries was both satisfying und not satisfying. It was satisfying in the sense that we got to see the familiar characters again, more competent than ever before, and we got to see them do their thing and save the day. It was not quite satisfying to me because of the villain. As a singular character, I felt that he was an exceptionally well-thought out character, especially in the short space of the book that we actually see him. He has the proper motivation and menace, there just seems to be no way that he could actually get all these basically loyal Guardsmen to try to instigate a war and to be prepared to kill Companions, whom they have been brought up to revere. How did he even get into a position of power over the Guardsmen, as he has never held any rank whatsover in the Guard? Still, overall I was satisfied, though I do hope that we get to move on to a new character now, seven are really quite enough, even though I do enjoy the spy angle.