A Dangerous Man by Charlie Huston

ris_stitches's review

I really enjoyed it! This might have been my favorite in the series. Gripping and graphic, each of the books in this series has you sucked in within the first 2 pages, and makes you turn away at some of the graphic depictions of Henry's (and others') crimes. Like I said before, not the usual kind of book I read, but I've found myself a Charlie Huston fan. Might have to find a few of his other books.

newfylady's review

Holy cow. That was an intense ride

sandin954's review against another edition

While dark and grimly violent I did think this was a fitting conclusion to the Hank Thompson trilogy. Was put off a bit though by the no quotation marks style (I had listened to the previous two installments on audio) but did get used to it in the end.

rocketiza's review

Charlie Huston doesn't do character building in his novels, he does character destroying. He starts out with a fully fleshed out and formed human being, and then he breaks that poor mother down so hard that it's difficult to read the tragedy he heaps on them. This novel was all I could have ever asked for as the final book in the arc of this trilogy.

radiojen's review

I didn't realize until after I had finished this book that it was the third in a series. I really only read it to begin with because it was a free download from Kindle.

The first half of the book was a bit confusing and did not really hold my attention. I found myself having to reread several pages because I realized I was skimming the words, not really paying attention to what I was reading. However, I hate to start a book and not finish it, so I plugged away. When the book was nearly over, I actually found myself enjoying it. Maybe if I had read the first two books, this one would have been a little more enjoyable to me.

The story is told by the main character in the story, who occasionally skips back and forth (Pulp Fiction style) between two different things that are going on -- the current situation he has gotten himself into and then something in the future that happens that we will eventually learn. See what I mean by how this can be pretty confusing?

There's a lot of violence, bad language and adult situations (drugs, sexual situations, etc). I actually think this wouldn't make a half-bad movie, but this is something I'd much rather see on the big screen than read about.

bunnieslikediamonds's review

Charlie Huston's writing is always enjoyable, but this final book in the Hank Thompson trilogy didn't move me. It only took a couple of hours to read and didn't really feel like a novel in it's own right. The pill-popping and violence got old real quick, but it was nice to get some closure.

cantdrive55's review against another edition

dark emotional tense medium-paced

looloo59's review

What is with trilogies? I seem to always like the first book the most...and that holds true for the Henry Thompson books by Huston as well. I found my enthusiasm waning a bit ...but this is still a great read from a great author!!

sandeestarlite's review

As Spike says, the author takes perfectly reasonable people and beats them up.

Poor Hank. Through three books, he's been running from the law, the Russians and others. He just keeps getting into awful situations that.

The books are fast paced - I listened to the first two and am reading this one. It's a fun writing method - the author hops forward in time and Henry's in trouble again, then he backs up and takes you through what leads up to the trouble.

sharptoe's review

Awesome trilogy. It's hard to not root for the bad guy.