The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien

nathanjhunt's review against another edition

adventurous dark lighthearted slow-paced

This was my 18th book finished in 2024.

Oh, where to begin... This book has so much potential, but it's so bogged down by the slow pace, long monologues, constant singing and general lack of action! I'd say it's 30% talk, 30% descriptions of scenery, 20% singing and 10% action. This has given me a whole new appreciation for Peter Jackson's film, as he really saw the potential of the book!

I like world building in a book, and this is built very well, but perhaps too well. There are too many instances of characters monologuing about history and geography; I wish Tolkien thought of a more inventive way of getting this information across.

There is SO much talk, and the actual exciting scenes last such a small length of time, before it's back to the talking. I'm convinced this book could easily have been cut down to half the length; we need an abridged version of the trilogy!

It's a good idea, but it really just isn't completely "my thing". I have to give it a 3.25 - and honestly the songs REALLY bring the rating down.

toutesleschosesmarguerite's review against another edition

adventurous funny lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

starrysheep's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful sad slow-paced

weaponizedheart's review against another edition

No book beats the narrative of this saga. I loved the maps and every little detail that was described. However, this was a slow read. It was hard for me to keep reading when nothing interesting was happening and the chapter was still going. Though, I love the worldbuilding, I really enjoyed reading it!

ziliav's review against another edition

la primera parte del libro me costó pues sentía que era una prolongación de el hobbit, lo cual no quiere decir que esté mal pero tenía otras expectativas que sí se cumplieron al llegar a la mitad del libro.
la meticulosidad de tolkien en toda la creación de su mundo es cautivadora. sus paisajes de ensueños, su mitología atrapante y hasta su sentido del humor es acertado.
la gran variedad de personajes y sus respectivas personalidades agigantan este mundo. terminé feliz de hacerme aventurado en el.

shubbard116's review against another edition

I wanted to love Lord of the Rings. They are my husbands favorite books of all time and I really wanted to love them with him. But I’ll admit it was a lot to trudge through. It’s clear Tolkien has a brilliant mind.. the songs, poems, new languages, maps; it’s unbelievable the amount of time he poured into the book. But that’s what made it hard for me to get through. I would get lost in the details, unsure who was who and what they were and where they were. At times it was slow because of the detailed depths of conversation that was spelled out. I enjoyed the story as a whole, it just took more effort to make it through the book.

emilydelucia's review against another edition

adventurous emotional mysterious reflective medium-paced

seagul's review against another edition

A fantastic book by Tolkien. With an expertly crafted world with rich lore and compelling characters, the first book of the Lord of the Rings is an epic of unparalleled portions that leads into the greatest trilogy ever written

papsby's review against another edition

adventurous funny lighthearted slow-paced

gothreads's review against another edition

adventurous dark slow-paced