Reviews for Kate In Waiting, by Becky Albertalli

snipergrandpa's review

funny lighthearted fast-paced

decklededgess's review

funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective fast-paced

trigger warnings: bullying, mild misogyny and sexism, alcohol use, homophobia mention, divorced parents

becky continues to write books i can read in a single sitting despite having outgrown the need for such comfort. i love these.

gillimiller's review

emotional funny lighthearted fast-paced

katherinezofrea's review

WOW! First of all let me say thank you so much Becky Albertalli for sending me this book. I am so incredibly thankful that I got to read an ARC.

I won my copy of Kate in Waiting in an instagram contest. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

This book feels like a love letter to theatre kids and friendship. Yes it is a YA romance but honestly I found that the main focus of the story was on Kate and Andy's friendship. Time and time again we see how much Kate deeply loves Andy and Andy proves he feels the same way about her. It was so refreshing to find a book where the platonic friendships are given just as much importance and time in the spotlight as the romances. The romances were cute and filled my heart with so much joy although there were definitely times I wanted to grab the characters by the shoulders and yell "just communicate with each other!" So many of their decisions felt so true to 16 year old me though, that I could not fault them for that.

I also found Kate to be such a dynamic character. She is confident in her abilities but also finds herself second guessing things due to past traumas and experiences. She loves deeply and without abandon but also wants to protect herself in fear of getting hurt or hurting those around her. While she is open with her friends, she is pretty closed off to others until, inevitably, she comes to an understanding there is so much more to a person than what we see on the surface and she probably shouldn't judge people based on her limited knowledge of them. Kate goes through such a wonderful development while still keeping her core values of trust.

It is definitely predictable at time and I was not shocked by the outcome in the end, but it is written in such a sweet and caring way that I never once felt bored.

Kate in Waiting is a beautiful coming of age story and if you ever participated in a theatre program as a kid or a teen, read this book. This one is definitely for us.

goldenseeker97's review

Disclaimer: I got this for free in exchange for a review from @NetGalley. All opinions and commentary are my own. I ABSOLUTELY ADORED THIS BOOK! It's perfect for anyone who's into reading about theatre or characters who are into theatre. You can really tell that Becky poured her heart and soul into this book. It's so refreshing because I haven't seen too many YA books out like this. Spoiler review on my blog closer to the release date!

kaitplusbooks's review

Absolutely AMAZING! Full review to come closer to the publication date on kaitplusbooks.com!

The only regret I have is that I read it so early there were no acknowledgements, and I love reading those after the book.

theroguerecommender's review