Reviews for Crazy Rich Asians, by Kevin Kwan

kaitlynk_thatpageturninglife's review

adventurous funny hopeful lighthearted tense medium-paced

sooz_767's review against another edition

It took me a little while to get into this but ended up reading it on holiday and it was a great holiday read. It's fluffy and funny so keeps you entertained. My only real issue was that it could have been trimmed down a bit, it was overly descriptive at times with all the brands and name dropping, so could have easily cut a good few pages. I may continue with the series, perhaps for my next holiday!

celestemarin's review

This is the rare case of the movie being better than the book, just because most things (and yes, people) are better to look at than read about. So much description of over-the-top stuff, so many designer labels mentioned... I first sped up the audiobook so it would pass faster and then switched to print so I could skip over bits. I mean, I get why it's like that but it gets tiring after a while. The characters almost don't have personalities but are what they buy or wear. It might be different if you are familiar enough with the culture that the names of the foods make your mouth water.

bookiesncookies's review against another edition

Pride and Prejudice meets My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Hilarious with an ensemble cast that jumps to differentiate family member's plot. I loved everyone, I loved everything, I haven't finished a book so quickly in so long

sydthedreamer's review against another edition

Saw the movie a few months ago and just now blazed through the audiobook. In my experience, I think this story had the biggest differences between the movie and the book, especially for Astrid's character and Rachel's storyline. I very much enjoyed the book, though in the beginning, I had wished for more chapters from Rachel and Nick, since the movie had focused on them and I believed them more the main storyline. Still, add it progressed, I enjoyed the peek at other characters' lives, particularly Peik Lin and Eddie/Fiona. Also Eleanor. Already ordered the second book from my library.

shawntelkelly's review against another edition

I preferred the movie, which NEVER happensĀ

bisoo's review

adventurous funny mysterious relaxing slow-paced

morningstar916's review against another edition

I enjoyed this way more then I expected. I waited for 6 months on my library's libby app for this book, so I am glad it wasn't a flop.

It seemed a little too Gatsby from the movie trailers so I originally had no interest in reading or seeing it. However, after watching it on a plan when I was moving across country it made me want to pick up the series.

I did not care for the point of views of people not Rachel or Nick. I loved the story though. Also, I was a little lost at all the name brands mentioned.

agirlsnightbookbash's review against another edition

This book is deceptively long. It does not look like a 500+ page tome. I liked it, although I felt like there were too many character perspectives. It got a bit confusing. I love the Rachel and Nick story line up until the end. I like Astrid and Peik Lin. All the extra cousins and aunts having their own chapters got to be a bit too much. Unpopular opinion, I liked the movie substantially more.

greenlivingaudioworm's review against another edition

This book was the definition of fun. I loved experiencing the world of Crazy Rich Asians, one that I am sure exists. It is unfathomable to me that someone could spend $25,000+ on a single dress. How is it possible that people think $500,000/year is a salary that is unliveable? I can't even grasp that!

Despite the craziness, this book was so much fun and a great way to spend several hours. The audiobook made it fairly easy to follow which character was which, but I did check out the book so I could reference the family tree throughout. I cannot wait to read the next two books to find out what happens with all of these crazy rich Asians.