The Last Graduate by Naomi Novik

rainasage's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny tense medium-paced

I enjoyed this book, but Orion's personality is severely underdeveloped in this in a way that bothers me.

megstar35's review against another edition

dark funny hopeful medium-paced

psychedelic_koala's review

adventurous tense fast-paced

lyctors's review

adventurous dark tense medium-paced

almondcookies's review against another edition

As someone that doesn't even want to watch TV shows that aren't fully aired because they can't stand the one week wait, committing to the Scholomance universe was probably a big mistake on my part. I preordered this book last November, read it the weekend it came out, and now am struggling to contain the uncontrollable desire for the next book.

It was much easier to get into The Last Graduate than it was A Deadly Education, maybe because ADE lays the foundation of this world and introduces us to all the important characters. But of course, once I was sucked into the scholomance universe, it's impossible to escape.

TLG is very El centric, which is no surprise because she is our main character and it's told through her point of view. She's warming up now and is making lots of new friends (some better than others), but remains rather self absorbed. Not selfish, because she thinks about others a very often, but self absorbed. In the way one is when they never want to rely on others, so has to put themselves in the middle of every situation, even if it's not really about them.

El's old friends and Orion are back too, something I've been looking forward to immensely. They all develop in different, wonderful ways, and we uncover more about each, along with both the world inside the school, and the world outside it too. If ADE introduces us to El's prejudice against the class system, TLG is starting to slowly tear it down, and it's wonderful to see her reactions to all her new discoveries.

I'm really amazed at how much I loved this book. Not just enjoyed, but actually loved. Please Novik, please, make this a trilogy, so I only have to do this one more time.

steviemariedl's review

adventurous medium-paced

cas_sand's review against another edition

dark tense medium-paced

emoser_9's review

Are you KIDDING ME why is that how this ended sorry trying not to CRY

kristinistic's review

adventurous fast-paced

willowward's review against another edition

Very good that’s all brain can offer right now