Beloved, by Toni Morrison

readbyg's review

challenging dark reflective sad slow-paced

bettycooperdraper's review

Have been trying to unpack my thoughts for a week now. This was so beautiful. Thinking about how Sethe can’t let go and how it’s Denver that rejoins the world and the community and how it’s community that saves them from Beloved because we’re nothing without each other. Nothing I can say will do it justice it was SO good and horrific and haunting.

crescentmoondaydreams's review

dark emotional mysterious reflective sad medium-paced

emsun's review

challenging dark emotional mysterious reflective sad tense slow-paced

Lyrical. Beautifully and effortlessly weaves together so many metaphors and symbols (had to pull up the Cliff’s Notes!). Could spend a long time dissecting and analyzing, but the immediate impact is also large. Unsettling moods, disturbing imagery, and entrancing stories intertwine to make readers both recognize and feel the reverberations of slavery’s deep horrors, and the violence and trauma that can’t simply be left behind. So many layers to this novel, exquisitely written.

skikel's review

to get to a place where you could love anything you chose-not to need permission for desire-well now, that was freedom

ray_whin's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional sad slow-paced

bookchara's review

challenging dark slow-paced
  • Plot- or character-driven? N/A

spacejamz's review

What took me so long???

magalis's review

Did I enjoy it? The beginning was kind of weirdly written, but I was pretty hooked by the second half and liked it overall.
Would I read it again? I would like to. I think it's the type of book that would improve with subsequent readings once you're more familiar with the basic plot.
Who would I recommend it to? I don't have a specific type of person who I think would like this, so I don't know. I would probably recommend it to a couple of my friends but not for any particular reason, just because it kind of strikes me as their type of book.
Any other thoughts? This was an odd one. I've never read Toni Morrison before, but what better place to start than with Beloved? This was a bit of a slower read for me, the subject matter was heavier than the fiction that I've been reading lately so it took a bit of an adjustment for my brain to remember how to read that type of story. I didn't love the beginning, but I thought that it became more engaging in part 2, and really improved in part 3. I dithered between giving this 2 stars instead of 3, but I settled on 3 just because I liked the ending. I don't really know what I was expecting going into it, I didn't really know what it was about, my dad just recommended it to me when I mentioned that I wanted to try to read primarily women writers this year. I was pleasantly surprised by the creepy vibe to the story, and I found myself mostly invested in Denver's storyline. I don't know, there were parts I really liked and parts I didn't care for, so overall I guess that makes it a pretty average book to me (with some above average sections).

sherina's review