Armada by Ernest Cline

the_enobee's review against another edition

While a fun ride and a cool idea, this was too tidy and abbreviated for my tastes.

wrentheblurry's review against another edition

3.5 stars.

While I loved [b: Ready Player One|9969571|Ready Player One|Ernest Cline|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1406383612s/9969571.jpg|14863741], this one lacked the charm and magic of Cline's first title. Here we have a teen whose skills at a certain computer game have actually prepared him to help the government battle aliens in an intergalactic war. Some memories of prior events are shared, and an epilogue provides a conclusion for what happens to the characters later, basically the rest of the book takes place over one very long day.

You'll encounter government conspiracy theories, scads of old video game references, and plenty of pew-pew battle scenes. Cline also injects plenty of pop culture references throughout the book. It felt like Ender's Game meets the movie Pixels.

I found Armada largely entertaining, though it's also super hokey and the cheese-factor made me audibly groan. Also, my attention wandered during many of the fight scenes, though I got the gist of what happened. I just didn't care, and it was all kind of inevitable anyway.

What truly kept me engaged and absorbed in the story (okay, aside from those aforementioned air fights) was Will Wheaton's narration. I feel certain if I had read this instead of listened to the audiobook, I would have skimmed it and not liked it as much. Wheaton masterfully executed multiple accents, giving each character their own personality, and making me forget it was just one person instead of many. Also, one of his characters sounded a ton like a George Takei impression, but that could just be me. Thank you, Will Wheaton, for your incredible narration. I'm retroactively sorry I didn't listen to Ready Player One, but hope that you get lots more audiobook gigs in the future.

In summary, an entertaining title with forgivable flaws that needs to be experienced aurally.

guategeek's review against another edition

Meh, so meh.

bzzylz's review against another edition

adventurous funny tense fast-paced

h3dakota's review against another edition

Well, I'm giving it 3 stars because it made me laugh quite a few times. I enjoyed it, but I admit to feeling let down after Ready Player One. This book feels like a gamer wrote a lengthy bit of fan fiction, to be honest. Not that I don't enjoy fan fiction, because I do. I just feel let down because I had higher hopes - usually authors get better with their storytelling with experience, but this one just felt like it was a rewriting The Last Starfighter without the cool aliens.

traci1974's review against another edition

This book seems to be a love letter to science fiction. Story-wise it was just ok, with a predictable plot and characters who are somewhat one dimensional. I think the strongest aspect of it is the fun factor from all the references - most of these I didn't get, to be honest. Overall, it was mildly entertaining, but a bit disappointing if you compare it to Ready Player One - which had a much stronger plot.

coralchelle's review against another edition

Almost DNF’d so many times. Ridiculous plot? Fine. Shallow characters with no substance or growth? Whatever. But…. The gaping unfathomable small things just kept adding up:
Trying to keep an alien invasion secret for a little longer? Better use spaceships and megaphones at locations all around the planet.
Conducting a military briefing in a secure facility? Of course you can bring in booze!
Problem? It’ll be easily solved by someone with a few clicks and no challenge/growth by… anyone.
Then there’s the icky gamer stereotypical trash talk by main characters and no one calls them out on their sexist/homophobic language.
And why is so much time spent talking crap about people who work in wastewater treatment plants? They’re skilled & performing a needed service!
Then there’s the ending. Sigh. Bottom line: underwhelming.

hmax100's review against another edition

adventurous funny mysterious tense fast-paced

theoalt's review against another edition

Very cool but I maybe a little predictable

misfitotter's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny hopeful inspiring mysterious sad tense fast-paced