A Study in Charlotte, by Brittany Cavallaro

readingwhenican's review

Somewhere between a 3 and a 4.

I really enjoyed this! The descendants of Sherlock Holmes and John Watson are attending boarding school together in Connecticut. Suddenly, a fellow student is murdered, but there may be more to the story than meets the eye. I liked that the story took elements of Holmes and Watson and the mysteries they solved and updated them and the characters. Some of the plot points seemed a little convenient, but I will be reading book two.

crystal2004's review

g0ddessofwar's review

sarahnoelle's review

For James Watson, Charlotte Holmes is a lot more than the girl of his dreams. I mean, she is absolutely that, but to confine her to that title would be unfair. As the great-great-grandson of John Watson (Yes. That John Watson), the moment he found out as a young boy that somewhere out there the great-great-granddaughter of Sherlock Holmes was solving insane crimes at the age of eleven he became fixated on the idea of someday meeting her. In Watson's fantasies, they run frenzied through hidden tunnels with flashlights as partners in crime. When he comes face to face with her though at the age of 16 at his new elite boarding school in Connecticut, he gets the sinking suspicion she may not be as taken with the idea. That is until one of their classmate's ends up dead under mysterious circumstances- and they realize they're being framed for it. As the two are thrust right in the center of an insane murder plot straight from their ancestors stories they soon realize the only way they're ever going to crack this case is together.

***spoilers below***

While A Study in Charlotte had a slow start, when it picked up, it really picked up. I finished the book in just under 24 hours solely because I couldn't put it down. While James and Charlotte may have gotten off to a slow start, their feelings for each other formed surely and inevitably. A classic Holmes, Charlotte was brusque and standoffish and not one to make friends easily. It's not hard to understand why she's found herself at the center of this sinister plot. The real question is, who's pulling the strings? Just about everyone seems like they could have it out for our young protagonists and the end- while not a huge surprise- was compelling enough to make it worth the wait. I was glad to find that A Study in Charlotte was the first in a three book installment. While it's not the best book I've read this year, I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know this modern day Holmes and Watson and am eagerly awaiting the next book in the mail.

booknerdian's review

Amazing! The characters are Amazing! I love Charlotte! She is a bloody unstoppable force who won't hesitate to run anyone over. (Except Jamie.) So fierce and strong and absolutely terrifying. Charlotte is now one of my favorite characters. I love her, oh my goodness, she is awesome. I'm with Jamie in watching Charlotte in awe and well...

Speaking of Jamie watching Charlotte,
They are a such an old married couple. That scene at 3am in the dinner was gold. They work together to make one fully functioning, extraordinary human. Like Jamie said I can't imagine her like without me, its only fair since I can't imagine my life without her.

That being said, I was very happy when the explosion nearly killed Homles and brought them together again. Probably not the reaction dear Brittany was going for, but it existed.

Jamie is adorable. If I was a cold-hearted machine with no desire for human emotion, I'd come to a halting stop as well. He's too beautiful crush. Too wonderful not to want with you every second. His emotions fit exactly with him, like the bloody glove. Like they're him in the truest sense. Some characters when you read them, it feels like they're emotions are tacted on. They read like a narrator speaking in monotone. Jamie is alive, even more so than Charlotte. I feel like I could meet him in real life and have a conversation about...whatever (Charlotte probably.) Jamie is so real I'm half skeptical our dear Brittnay didn't copy and paste her own journal. Jamie is just so, real. And hilarious.

The mystery was unreal though. It was perfect for the story. It fit the plot perfectly. But I sussed out one of the culprits early on.

All in all, 10/10 would recommend.

jsberzon's review

Rounding up to 3...it was cute...I enjoyed it, but nothing amazing. And I'm sure I'll keep reading because "sherlock".

kielirose's review

I love the play on words with this title and how it's bringing the Watson and Holmes story's back to life but with a new twist

wisteriabelle's review against another edition

Review to come

darkandbookish's review

I really enjoyed this fresh take on the Sherlock Holmes stories! And we definitely stan a badass female Holmes.

While I liked Holmes, she was prickly at times, making Jamie the perfect narrator. The dynamic between the two of them was great and the slow-burn romance was cute, while also not being the focus of the plot. I also enjoyed the mystery and suspense, as well as the recreated Sherlock mysteries.

My only complaints are the ages of the characters and the “whodunnit” reveal. If the characters had at least been Juniors or Seniors in high school I could have bought some of their maturity and their actions more easily. However, the sophomore angle made them seem a little too young. 15/16 seemed a bit of an age stretch. I also thought the reveal of the killer was predictable, but only by the second half of the story. If it had been more of a shock, I would have enjoyed it more.

3.5/5 stars

melanyreads's review

I thought this book was entertaining at times, but other times it felt a bit dull. It didn't feel like a SherlockHolmes mystery novel, at least I didn't get any similar vibes as I was hoping. It was an ok read but overall not very memorable.