Reviews for Seven of Infinities, by Aliette de Bodard

freakydug's review

emotional mysterious medium-paced

goldenpear's review

A "retired" thief mindship meets a scholar who's had a dead body appear on her doorstep, and gets drawn back into action.

I cannot stress enough that I love Bodard's writing!! This is a detailed and immersive sci-fi novella with a sapphic spaceship/human romance that I devoured in a day. Couldn't ask for anything more.

ajane's review

Each Xuya universe novella manages to be different from the last with distinct characters and plot lines while still typically being mystery solving in space. With sentient spaceships (in case you haven’t read any others yet!) who are characters in their own right.

This one has a student, a teacher, a scholar (arguably), a body (although more do have a tendency to appear), and an unexpected solution when everything comes to head... what is of value and what is important aren’t always the same thing and Aliette de Bodard frames this beautifully with relationship dynamics in a way most writers flounder.

brillig's review

hopeful mysterious reflective medium-paced

craftysilicate's review

dark emotional mysterious slow-paced

asja's review

adventurous emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

shilo1364's review

I loved this book! Like Aliette de Bodard's previous books, this one is highly influenced by Vietnamese culture and language. This is also another installment in her Xuya universe of mindships and humans, and like The Tea Master and the Detective, this story centers around a mindship and a human. It is also a murder mystery.

The characters are well-crafted and sympathetic, and the growing romance is sweet. Vân is an impoverished tutor with a secret she fears will ruin her; Sunless Woods is a thief masquerading as a scholar. Of course keeping these secrets gets them both in trouble, and they have to give in and share them in order to save their relationship. I sympathized with both Vân and Sunless Woods, and was definitely rooting for them and their romance.

The worldbuilding was excellent and comprehensive, taking the previously established world of mindships and space stations and expanding it to include memimplants - fascinating idea, carrying the knowledge of your dead ancestors in your head, the better to succeed on exams. The world felt real and complete and rich with setting and characters.

The language is still a bit challenging, though it gets easier the more I read, and it often uses hinted and unspoken information, which requires reading between the lines to get the full understanding. Every book of hers that I read intrigues me more and I will definitely be putting Aliette de Bodard on my autobuy list.

*Thanks to NetGalley and Subterranean Press for providing an e-arc to review.

granthamaven's review

adventurous mysterious tense fast-paced

entazis's review

I really like the way the author has with her words, how strong her descriptions are. It's just so visual and colorful, and I think this would be great for animated adaptation.
The characters are also quiet interesting, especially the mindship. The whole concept with ships will continue to be amazing, but this time Aliette de Bodard went further in giving us a sapphic romance. Also, I would love to read a heist story with this group. Something like Leverage, just in space.

petitfoix's review