Hurt You by Marie Myung-Ok Lee

literatefox76's review against another edition

challenging dark informative slow-paced

librareee's review

There is a lot to unpack here. A really great exploration of a Korean-American family caring for a neurodivergent member. The various blatant and subtle connections with "Of Mice and Men" tell you how the story will likely end early on. Even still, the ending is abrupt and shattering. I both appreciated that and didn't care for it. It happened almost too quickly. But, on the other hand, acts of violence happen quickly and unexpectedly. In that way, it made sense.

I appreciated the added layer of the main character's struggle of finding space for herself, family, and friends in a predominantly white suburban town.

A difficult and important read.

librareee's review against another edition

emotional sad fast-paced

fictionalmandy's review against another edition

dark emotional reflective tense medium-paced

courto875's review against another edition

emotional sad fast-paced

gonsiorc's review against another edition

challenging emotional sad medium-paced

signediza's review against another edition

informative reflective medium-paced
  • Strong character development? N/A

bargainbinkazbrekker's review

I knew i wasn’t going to necessarily enjoy this book going into it but i still read it because i was interested to see how the author would tackle a book like Steinbeck’s Of mice and men. It’s one of those books that thousands have had to read and it holds a place as one of those infamous yet deeply problematic classics. Tackling a classic that’s over arching theme and plot is based in ableism and borderline eugenics is a challenge in if itself, by itself, and that’s where this book lost me. It was tackling so much in so few pages: Ableism, Gun violence, Gun control, School shootings, White Supremacy in spaces and communities of color, Familial strain, violences against disabled people, and advocacy. I was getting whiplash from trying to understand what the author was trying to say about each and every social issue but there was just not enough time and pages to get a fully fleshed out understanding of the authors full message.
The novel did manage to handle its disabled character with so much more respect and autonomy than the original text and Georgia is an excellent main character to follow, even if i was iffy about following an able bodied protagonist who basically speaks for our disabled character, Leo. But it’s handled respectfully and you can feel how much Georgia loves and cares for Leo, and how she takes time to understand him and his commutation style, etc.
I think this would’ve have been a fantastic novel for me had the author either limited the amount of social issues they attempted to address or hand more pages to expand on each of them to give them the nuance and time they deserve.
I’m sitting at a solid 3 to 3.25 out of 5 stars. It’s good, but I have a couple qualms.

librerika's review against another edition

challenging emotional sad medium-paced

Solid update of of mice and men but man what a brutal ending... I mean I knew it was coming but I was hoping the author would pull a these violent delights style twist or something