erinngillespie's review against another edition

I LOVE how this book ended ! I loved everything about this authors writing style . There was a sense of humour that was though out the entire book. The writing was engaging and fun to read. My favorite part was when he compared the human race to the very parasites that he was studying only we are much less skilled at our work. Even parasites keep the host alive long enough to be useful . This author may be my fist auto - buy in the none fiction genera .

dinoreader84's review against another edition

It was all right. Lots of interesting info but beat a dead horse over a few topics.

posching's review against another edition

Beeindruckende Einblicke in die unbekannte Welt der Parasiten, in Zeiten von Corona mit beängstigender Aktualität

rachel_darling's review against another edition

informative medium-paced

starship's review

challenging dark informative slow-paced

beenisharif's review against another edition

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

"It is we who are the parasites, and Earth the host. The metaphor may not be perfect, but it chimes well.....
...There is no shame in being a parasite. We join a venerable guild that has been on this planet since its infancy and has become the most successful form of life on planet...
...If we want to succeed as parasites, we need to learn from the masters."

Very deeply researched and well written book. I learnt so much about parasites, their harms and blessings both. Nature is no doubt a self-sustaining being. God has created it in its best form.

Can't wait to read more of his books. Highly recommend it to science and nature lovers.

little_imp_academia's review against another edition

Tapeworms

christhedoll's review against another edition

BUGS!!

tiffmas's review

adventurous informative inspiring medium-paced

saraireads's review

Parasite Rex is both horrifying and fascinating. Zimmer shares examples of various parasites, their behaviors and how they evolved into master manipulators. He describes how they affect certain species specifically and how parasites can end up altering entire ecosystems.

He doesn’t touch on parasites in humans a whole lot (although the little he explains was interesting) but I found the rest of the book to be fascinating. Especially the last chapter, where Zimmer explains that as bad as most parasites are, they’re so ingrained and evolved that some species do worse without them.

Highly recommend this if you enjoy reading biology or science!