The Henna Wars, by Adiba Jaigirdar

prrttyodd's review against another edition

emotional hopeful inspiring medium-paced

mariannehk00's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful inspiring reflective medium-paced

fdale's review against another edition

hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

tintinnn's review against another edition

Okay y’all I finally finished reading The Henna Wars!! I loved it actually! Nishat and Flaviá? So adorable love them; however, my favourite character is still Priti

caitlynuniverse's review against another edition

This book was beautiful and an eye opener for me. I love the different topics that were infused into the plot and discussed , some being - homophobia, culture appropriation, religion etc.

I love the relationship between Nishat and Priti, it was wholesome and honest. Priti would set her sister straight when needed and was so supportive of her, which was a breath of fresh air for me because sometimes siblings can be our enemies.

The representation was amazing and I love how the topic of friendship disputes was included too. This book made me reflect a lot and also look at my own experiences as a queer poc.

monicasilva's review against another edition

emotional reflective medium-paced

possiblychurch's review against another edition

I decided to read this book after reading Hani and Ishu’s Guide to Fake Dating, by the same author, which I really liked, and I have to say, I was disappointed to find out that it was just… okay. Nothing great, nothing terrible.

The characters were a little plain, not much character development and the little we got to see was sudden and unnatural (like Nishat’s parents suddenly deciding that they’re okay with her being gay towards the end). The romance was just fine, nothing terribly exciting, and established a bit too early for my taste.

The thing that bothered me the most, however, was the absolute lack of long-term consequences for anyone. Chyna gets away with everything she’s done, Priti’s friend gets away with outing Nishat, Flavia gets away with allowing Chyina to be racist and horrible to Nishat for the whole book.

Plus, it didn’t help that I felt like this book was targeted to a younger audience, despite being marketed as young adult, which perhaps explains why the characters were so one-dimensional.

Overall, it was not so bad that it was impossible to get through, but I did find it a little disappointing; if you’re interested to a book similar to this one I’d recommend Hani and Ishu’s Guide to Fake Dating instead, which I believe fixes a lot of the faults I found in The Henna Wars.

2.75 stars, meh.

ruby_frost's review against another edition

hopeful informative inspiring medium-paced

i really liked all the themes explored and the interaction of culture and queer identity. I really liked the romance and character development and this was quite a quick easy read:)

j0rj_xo's review

emotional inspiring medium-paced

LOVED the sister relationship between Nishat and Priti. This book beautifully weaved to intricate complexity’s of being queer and POC in one. So so happy it ended on a happy note, this romance definitely warmed my heart <3

forthehopeofitall's review