House of roots and ruin. La casa di radici e perdizione by Erin A. Craig

mooca's review against another edition

Delightful like the last one. It took me a minute to remember who all the characters were early on but it didn’t take away from the plot because this felt standalone. It had callbacks to the first book but they had been big enough plot points to remember. Any minor callbacks were reiterated enough to not feel like I was missing something.

It felt a bit slow in the beginning and then super fast at the end with all of the plot condensing into the last 30% where I wanted it to be less of a rush. I felt like Julien and Viktor could’ve been explored more, even Dauphine and Gerard. Their intentions/arcs were only exposed through speeches near the end. I kind of get it though because this book is already 530 pages.

I adored Verity and Alex together and the journey their relationship took. (Ending spoilers)
SpoilerCan I ask though, what the heck does the ending mean?? Is Viktor still alive and Alex was in the crypt? I feel like it has to be because I really don’t like the idea of Alex being magically cured. I don’t think that’s where EAC was going with it and I appreciate the mystery of Viktor nefariously taking his place but then where is book three or at least my resolution!! :<

bergamot_breeze's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense fast-paced

alexandriam_rose's review against another edition

3.5~The beginning of this didn't really grab me, but the second half or really last third picked up and got pretty weird. This also is very much a companion to the first book in this world, not a sequel, different story/characters and I think I still liked that one a bit more.

taylorm21's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious tense slow-paced

exorcismemily's review against another edition

This was lacking some of the spookiness of the first book (it still has horror elements, just in a different way, and maybe toned down a little), and was a bit more romance-focused than I was expecting, but I still enjoyed it. I like Verity as the main character. The end of this book sets up a very interesting premise for book 3, and I can't wait to read it!

kma_425's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense fast-paced

finalgirlreads's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense

Holy heck, this book was amazing! It had everything wanted in a story, from fantasy to horror to mystery. It was such a a wild read. Very gothic feel to it and just. SO GOOD

qwyzu_'s review against another edition

dark mysterious tense medium-paced
  • Strong character development? N/A

helorenz's review against another edition

hamster007's review against another edition