The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein, by Kiersten White

sandra_suarez's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious reflective sad medium-paced

raina_massey's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense slow-paced

lindz524's review against another edition

I liked it! I wouldn’t have guessed it was YA.

phoenix013's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional hopeful mysterious sad medium-paced

fun4me40's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense fast-paced

caitielee's review against another edition

adventurous dark

sbaker's review against another edition

dark tense medium-paced

Mary Shelley would be proud of this creepy, satisfying version that focuses on Elizabeth, Victor Frankenstein's romantic interest.

rucha's review against another edition

as someone who just recently reading Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, I found this retelling really brilliant! I understand where this version of Victor Frankenstein and his parents inspired from... The lines still fresh in my memory, as I annotated it myself in the book I read. Knowing that lines developed into this brilliant retelling, I’m amazed!

The lines from Frankenstein by Mary Shelley :
On the evening previous to her being brought to my home, my mother had said playfully, “I have a pretty present for my Victor —— tomorrow he shall have it.” And when, on the morrow, she presented Elizabeth to me as her promised gift, I, with childish seriousness, interpreted her words literally and looked upon Elizabeth as mine —— mine to protect, love, and cherish. All praises bestowed on her I received as made to a possession of my own.

The reaction I wrote when I read that lines :
so Victor being possessive over Elizabeth???

And this version of Elizabeth, just WOW! How she told her point of view as an orphan forced to live in a stranger’s house after being bought by them.. And since she was bought by Madame Frankenstein to be Victor’s companion, she live her life trying so hard to please Victor, in fear that if Victor ever dislike her just a little bit, she would be thrown out from the house. All her live she close her eyes upon Victor’s wrong doings, until one day she discovered his devilish actions! From then on, Elizabeth’s behavior changed into different directions...

Another character that was just as remarkable as Elizabeth, was Justine... in the original story, we only had a little glimpse of her character. Meanwhile, in this book, Kiersten White wrote Justine’s story amazingly, we get to read Justine’s background story! I feel so happy about this, because for me Justine deserved more parts in the story!

Reading both, Elizabeth’s and Justine’s background story, how their background shaped their characters differently, how they met, and how their sisterly bond invested, it was fascinating.
”It was so odd that our separate origins—similar in cruelty, though differing in duration—had such opposite outcomes.“

And I love this book even more when Elizabeth and Justine crossed path with Mary, the niece of The Bookshop owner!!!
I was like, “Wait... Her name was Mary? Is her full name Mary Shelley?!”

The major plot twist that I’ve never think before was about the character of The Fiend or The Monster itself! I was totally surprised and amazed reading about that part when he finally showed his true behavior! That was so brilliant!

This book itself, written so beautifully! Every words was beautiful... I highlighted a lot of lines! if you are a fan of Frankenstein by Mary Shelly, you need to try reading this book!

allycat0928's review

dark mysterious sad tense slow-paced