100 Bullets, Vol. 3: Hang Up on the Hang Low, by Eduardo Risso, Brian Azzarello

mrsbooknerd's review

I enjoyed this! Back to the basics. A central character being given an above-the-law out. What is their story? What type of character are they? Will they take the step? Will they rise above the challenge?

Loop was a good character to follow. A bit of a rascal but he developed into someone that I could support. There wasn't too much heavy backstory to keep track of in this one so you could really concentrate of Loop and his papa bear.

Enjoyed this installment.

memawls's review

The more I read the series, the more I want to know how it will continue to evolve.

nharkins's review

still stingy with the exposition of what's really going on,
but the stories are getting better, despite the stereotypes.

phoenixs's review

This is more like 2.5 stars for me, but as I might've mentioned in other reviews of mine, this book (and otherwould be rated on more than one category for me. The storytelling is very rapid and well played out, but somehow I felt dissatisfied. I think it had to do with the some of the violence (both domestic and otherwise) visited on women in this volume. Yes, I understand it was about a harsh way of life and everyone's got an axe to grind (including a$$wipe rapists like the man in the epilogue to the arc) but there was something so....casual and dismissive about the tone of any scene where women were treated violently. I guess it's just part and parcel with a storyline like this, especially since no one is particularly free from corruption in this series, but damn did some of it rub me the wrong way anyways. I don't know, maybe it's because it's been awhile since I started reading this series again and I'm thinking of this graphic novel as a standalone rather than in the grand narrative of 100 Bullets thus far. Either way, I'm going to rate this based on my impression of it this time around. After having been introduced to some kick-ass characters like Dizzy in previous volumes, it's hard to stomach some of the b.s. that female half of the cast has to put up with in this story arc.

I still have to hand it to Azzarello though. The situations he presents in this series are believable and raw.

sdoire's review

The series is finally picking up...

memorian's review

Favorite story so far. Art style has improved drastically too.