The Picture of Dorian Gray, by Oscar Wilde

mautz's review against another edition

dark mysterious sad tense medium-paced

lyravalley's review against another edition

Maybe 2.5

aydaybay's review against another edition

Rated: 2.5

luminositylibrary's review against another edition

I had written a long review for this, but then GoodReads ate it when I submitted so here's a small one. I really enjoyed this book. The writing was beautiful: decadent, rich and witty. It balanced the line perfectly between the dark themes of the book and the wonderful imagery. Although this links into the reason I can't give it five stars. In some monologues (namely Lord Henry's), and the chapter that consists of page after page of flowery descriptions of perfume, instruments, tapestries, etc. it dragged on and threatened the pace of the novel. I thought the characters were incredibly interesting, although not particularly relatable. The queer love in it was so overt I was honestly quite surprised, just enough deniability for it to be published at the time. Though I am aware it was incredibly controversial. I guess it didn't really work out well for Oscar Wilde in the end. Lord Henry was a misogynistic, foul man with just enough charm to be convincing to the hottie airheaded Dorian Grey. I found them all fascinating. The plot wasn't complicated, but it was compelling. I wish that Dorian could have been redeemed at the end, although I know he was too far gone. The book isn't perfect, but it is a fun read.

inclinedtothelie's review against another edition

Very interesting, but I think what was a novel idea then has been duplicated numerous times, making it a but worn out for me.

shmandanas's review against another edition

challenging medium-paced

I had a lot of fun with the philosophy in this one

innae's review against another edition

Someone listed the books that "A League of Extraordinary Gentleman" were taken from -- I realized that while I recognized the characters, I hadn't read most of their books - so....

This is so not what I was expecting. I expected something much more horror sided, like Frankenstein perhaps, when really it is the downfall of a beautiful man. How he lets the world around him dictate who he should be. It was fascinating. And I truly wanted to copy nearly everything Lord Harry said, for he was very profound in a perverse sort of way.

alittlehaze's review against another edition

"When one is in love, one always begins by deceiving one's self, and one always ends by deceiving others. That is what the world calls a romance."

I thought I liked this book.
Then I was somehow roped into reviewing an essay about it at 4am in the morning...
And somehow hatred grew...
Blame Gillespie or blame Gabby... Either way no matter how hedonistically you may act in these pages dearest Dorian, no matter how much you may try to buck the Victorian Societal norms I now find you tedious and am in my own right rebelling against the positive regard in which this book is usually held and creating my own postmodern viewpoint that this is simply dull dull dull!

Two stars