The Picture of Dorian Gray, by Oscar Wilde

gerardo06's review against another edition

Una gran obra muy introspectiva por parte del autor.
Sobre la belleza, el narcisismo propio de la clase alta, sobre la fuerza del arte para alterar la realidad. Sobre su propia vida.

No se puede leer a Dorian Gray sin compararlo con la persona de Oscar Wilde.

queenzoya's review against another edition

Very slow beginning, but around page 70 it becomes totally enthralling. Full of mysterious characters, contradicting morals, and Dorian’s dark escapades. Will really make you think. It’s a classic for a reason!

dauntless_phi's review against another edition

I read this book for school and I absolutely adored it! Definitely one of my favorites

hend's review against another edition

If only this book didn't have a lot of description about little things that I don't really care about, I would've finished it earlier. Don't get me wrong, I liked the book very much, it was intense at times, but sometimes boring. But Poor Dorian, if only he never knew Lord Henry. What makes me wonder is, what would Lord Henry do if he was in his place? Is Dorian really foolish after all? Or was he still good even after all that he had done?

Obviously, I can tell this book is very deep, and I can't help but think that, even though it's not really logical it makes sense, a lot. The war between, egotism and humility, between good and evil. Dorian feels like the innocence we are born with, but then blemished with all the experiences we face, because of everyday life.
The amount of morals I can get from this classic is countless.

willow_t_r_'s review against another edition

Okay.
That was much more engaging than I thought it was going to be.

So, first off, I actually didn't realize that I liked the book while I was reading it, which was the strangest experience. I was so caught up in the story and the dialogue and the characters that I really wasn't paying attention to the structure of the book itself, and I never really paused to consider my feelings on the book, as I was so engrossed in the story. It was witty and interesting, and it really made me think about how vanity and beauty are perceived today, which I believe really proves the timelessness of Wilde's commentary and his writing. The book was engaging, and even though I really didn't relate to any whole character in particular (which would usually make a story boring,) I could see reflections of myself or people I knew or society as a whole embodied in the story. Dorian's quest and desire for eternal youth and beauty and his eventual downfall were beautifully written in fast-paced conversations, often accompanied by the character's thoughts, which I think really helped me understand and see the character's motivations and considerations much better.

That said, there were some weird time skips? The beginning of the story almost seems to move day-to-day, but then there is a bit of leap, and suddenly the story picks up time. I usually hate time skips, as I feel they detract from the overall story and can be confusing, but Wilde does it beautifully, using Dorian's various collection obsessions (be it gems or textiles or instruments,) or the changing of the social seasons to illustrate the quick passing of years. The time skips also work within the premise of the story, and serve to demonstrate how, even as those around him age, Dorian remains youthful, with the appearance of innocence and beauty, so I think that they were utilized in a way that overall enhanced the story and really made it incredible.

However...... I really kind of struggled in the beginning, simply because of Lord Henry. His constant sexist tirades were tiring, and I didn't really see what they were trying to add to the story. I spent most of the beginning internally groaning every. single. time. Lord Henry showed up on-page. I thought him interesting, and cynical, and at times, I actually really enjoyed reading his character because I thought it was fascinating to see the way he thought, but then he would launch right back into his "women are inferior" speeches and he would lose me. It just was brought up too often and with such blatant cruelty that it really made me angry.
Like Dorian would be all like: "I'm scared of growing old and losing my innocence and beauty," and Lord Hery would be like: "but the WOMEN though." and I just failed to see the connection. That was my only real complaint though, and in the end, that didn't stop me from liking the book, as I think that Lord Henry was supposed to be written like that, and his character was made to be slightly unsympathetic.

Anyway, this is my first time reading anything of Wilde's, and my first review on Goodreads, and it got way longer than I meant it to....... but my main point is everyone should at least try to read this book at least once in their lives.

neonlemon's review against another edition

You would not lose much if you cut ~100 pages from this 200 page book. Obviously brilliant writing and fun quips and epigrams but I don’t know that there’s actually more to it. Maybe it’s the Hitchcock effect where we have been so flooded with media inspired by this particular art that the original doesn’t seem so valuable. I could write endless essays about many individual lines of this book but it didn’t move me as a whole.

kookkay's review against another edition

some of my favorite quotes come from this book.

aoifahh's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

amberley's review against another edition

wow so deep and sad and horrible, I love.

megbeach's review against another edition

challenging dark mysterious medium-paced

actually one of my favourite classics, great ending!