Honey Girl, by Morgan Rogers

cparsons's review

slow-paced

spaceman_spiff's review

emotional hopeful informative inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

This book was poetic. It painted beautiful pictures and created a world that shines in its own light. It described the experience of being minority in physics/astro to the t and helped me understand some of my own similar experiences.

guerrillarain's review against another edition

Not rating because I skimmed just to get this over with, but the concept was so cool! I don't particularly understand why it was structured the way it was, as it straddles contemporary, literary, women's fiction and romance while not being entirely in one or another. I thought it was a romance, but the entire first quarter was dedicated to Grace's internal issues, as she completely forgot about the wife and what should have been--what I thought was--the inciting incident. There's a significant part of her story about walking out of a big, important interview which could have also been a starting point so that we understand Grace's story more of where she is and why before the marriage falls into her lap and forces her forward. Instead, we have both in a strange construction combined with strange characters that behave in disorienting ways. I understand what it was trying to do, but I don't understand why it was done in this way, with this cast behaving and speaking in this way.

shinypurplepants's review against another edition

This took me a very long time to finish because Grace Porter was a character I couldn't seem to stop projecting onto she was just too relatable in all her flaws and struggles to be seen and taken seriously and pushing people away when she needed them most.

I liked Yuki and Grace and I wanted everything to work out well for them. I am happy, however, that their mess was a realistic mess. This felt like a very very real and painful story to me. I don't think it will be for everyone because it is slow and so heavily introspective that if you don't relate to Grace Porter it may be a slog to get through.

soraiacosta's review

emotional hopeful reflective medium-paced

anitaraile's review

adventurous challenging emotional hopeful reflective medium-paced

jakinabook's review

emotional hopeful lighthearted reflective relaxing sad medium-paced

annagracereads's review

i really wanted to like this book more than i did. the protagonist was kind of annoying to be honest, and i got kind of bored at the beginning and middle.  it has good mental health and lgbtq+ rep, and it tells the story of family pressures and postgrad life well, but it fell flat for me overall.

emmabeck's review

lighthearted medium-paced

I loved this book. I could not tell you a single thing about it. it seemed to cross everything off of the list; it was diverse, sapphic, good-writing, etc. But it was kinda...boring. don't get me wrong, it was not laborious to read and I read it in one day. I enjoyed reading it. but it can't tell you anything that happened in it, it didn't really stick with me and I don't know why.

ela505's review

A lovely read and very relatable