heregrim's review

Well written, and like any dark racially based crimes from the same period, and really every period, of American history, not well known. For this being one of the major proving points in the creation of the FBI you would think that it would be the opposite and that these crimes would be much more known in the common memory. However, because it is racial based and because it is against Native Americans I am not surprised it has faded.

p0tat0's review against another edition

David Grann is an absolute master of narrative nonfiction and his talents are powerfully paired with this horrific story you've probably never heard of. On a more aesthetic note, I really appreciated the way photographs were integrated into the text of this book and helped bring all the "characters" to life. So often in the case of true crime, photos are clustered together onto a few pages and can sometimes serve to spoil some of the narrative if you skip ahead to them.

paigechu's review

What a maddening story!

acciohannah's review

3.5 stars

I've had this on my list for so long and I've finally got around to reading it. It so interesting to see how a series of murders in a small town led to the creation of the FBI. This book felt well researched and the prose, while slightly long winded at times, was well done overall. Seeing the abhorrent treatment of the indigenous people in Osage is just a reminder of how frequent and common this happened and continues to happen in the world today.

haysx5's review

adventurous informative reflective sad fast-paced

ida_ree's review

This was a compelling read, but filled me with despair over the way humans can treat each other. The last couple of chapters, in particular, left me reeling. Grann did excellent research and what he uncovered points to some very disturbing conclusions. Without giving away too much, I'll say that greed combined with racism leads to the worst kind of evil.

tiasreads's review against another edition

emotional mysterious sad

thatbookstoreguy's review

dark emotional informative mysterious sad medium-paced

The book is masterfully researched, and brilliantly written, but after a while it feels almost exploitive the amount of pain that is put on the page without further insight.

jmoura01's review against another edition

So interesting. 5 stars for narration by Will Patton.

millyreads_'s review against another edition

dark informative sad fast-paced