The Picture of Dorian Gray, by Oscar Wilde

dwighty's review against another edition

dark emotional funny reflective medium-paced

whytan's review against another edition

DNF Will try to read again in future

arianappstrg's review against another edition

dark mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced

invernessie's review against another edition

Very cool book. It was a pleasure to read, finally. Oscar Wilde's writing flows beautifully, and perhaps I will go back to it once more.

cosmicaline's review against another edition

dark informative tense medium-paced

loosetoothfool's review against another edition

challenging dark mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

finally finished this classic. it only took a month but it felt longer tbh. my feelings are complicated about this work. it is one of the most renowned classics yet i found it hard to get through. i did find the writing splendid for the most part, i have many lines and passages underlined for their thought provoking nature and beautiful construction and word usage - but then there were a couple of chapters in the middle that bored me so much that i stopped reading lmao. so i can't say that i loved the writing whole heartedly.
the story was of course intriguing and shocking, but also quite slow at other times, and i must say i was quite confused at times too.
Spoiler all this talk of "sinful" acts that Dorian was doing yet we never were really told what they were, or at least i was too dumb to understand. one has to assume that part of these "sins" was relationships with men, knowing about Oscar Wildes sexuality and how this book was used against him in his trial. I guess it was ambiguous for that very reason. additionally, the character of Alan I think his name was, I don't know if I am right or wrong in assuming that their relationship was romantic/sexual because of how they acted toward each other in the chapter that he is in. of course basil is also stated to have romantic feelings toward Dorian, so that ones more obvious. but yeah I was confused by what Dorian and Henry were talking about when they talked about sins and whatnot.
i found the reappearance of the Vane man, I think that's his name, Sybils brother, to be one of the best plot points in the book. that shocked me.

overall I must say that I do completely understand why this work is so beloved and revered. it is very interesting and thought provoking and shocking and intriguing, but for me it was at times too slow, ambiguous, boring and even too fast moving that it didn't hold my attention and interest through out. nevertheless, I bet I will be returning to read some of the passages I have marked because they are truly amazing.

halle_schneidewind's review against another edition

dark medium-paced

arachkiid's review against another edition

dark mysterious medium-paced

hadiya's review against another edition

REFLECTION

Hmm... I was expecting more horror than I got, but well, it was very mentally stimulating. It was interesting how Wilde could get me to grow to despise Dorian so much through the book, yet still even when he committed the vilest acts, hope he would improve, although knowing his character wouldn't allow it. Wilde seemed to be present through the character of Henry Wotton, which is epigrams and, playing devil's advocate, in more than one sense of the word. This character on the other hand, who started out charming, I ended up just hating too, simply because of his callousness and sheer emptiness. Declaring statements most interesting, contradictory, but with a hint of thought in them, but not supporting them, merely putting it out there to hurt others. I was sad to see the greater hint of sexism in this book, though I definitely expected it, but though I know that Wilde is not Henry, to some extent his views do come through, especially through Henry's mouth. The writing was wonderful though, especially the imagery, with very absorbing dialogue. Reading it had some parallels to me with Macbeth -- one rising to his pedestal and then falling off it. A very interesting read that definitely needs a more thorough read-through to understand exactly all the things Henry Watton said but not meant, and the change that Dorian underwent. No matter how much dislike I had for mostly everyone in the book but Basil Hallward, Dorian's character was REAL, believable, and scared me of the temptations in life I may face.

jennalve's review against another edition

dark tense medium-paced