Reviews tagging 'Pedophilia'

Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me, by Mariko Tamaki

readingratboy's review

emotional sad slow-paced

the art was great. i particularly liked the composition of each page and the use of the limited color palette that added to the tone of each scene.

the story itself was a bummer slice of life. the most important character relationships aren’t really shown on the page, so reading it felt like i was just going through the motions until it reached its predictable conclusion. you never see laura dean as charming or charismatic or anything that would help us see why freddy keeps going back to her despite their relationship being toxic, and you don’t see freddy and doodle being best friends in any way that would make the potential loss of their friendship upsetting.

some of the conflicts were just thrown out there without any conclusion, like the ‘perfect’ gay couple arguing over one if them not being invited to the other’s grandmother’s birthday.

then there was
Spoilerthe abortion plot… sheesh. having a high schooler get pregnant by an adult married man felt random and extreme in context of the rest of the story. it was also handled so dismissively that i felt bad for doodle as a character. i appreciate that her father doesn’t hold the situation against her, but he took her to the abortion clinic with the same level of care and concern as if she was getting a mole removed. do you not care that your child was groomed?? are we not gonna talk about that?? the fact that this plot was all wrapped up in like 10 pages (of a nearly 300 page comic) was insulting to its intensity. but then we just move on to a dance party, so i guess it’s fine

ender24's review

theonewheresamreads's review

dark lighthearted sad tense slow-paced

Sarah. Bestie…. I hate this ngl

comrade_mia's review

elwirax's review

reflective fast-paced

Rep- lesbian Asian MC, Queer SCs

I really loved the art style in this graphic novel and how much LGBTQIA+ and bipoc characters there were. However, I didn't like the overall story/plot that was all over the place. I didn't really like Freddy as a main character, there was a scene where a character was practically forcing their boyfriend to come out which was horrible. Not to mention the multiple cheating scenes and a pedophilic side plot. It was just not my thing.

The author aimed to comment on many topics such as toxic relationships, manipulation, abortion and cheating but because this is a graphic novel, they were not explored in the depth they deserved to be.
 The ending wrapped up too well and too quickly despite how heavy these topic were and I think making this graphic novel longer would've helped in terms of a proper discussion.

Given how short this graphic novel was, I felt no connection to any of the characters and if I can't feel that then no matter how interesting a plot may be, I won't care enough in the end.

Overall, not my favourite graphic novel which is a shame as I expected to really enjoy it.

lxghtacademia's review

wends_nblw's review

emotional reflective sad tense fast-paced

jeaniegreenie's review

emotional hopeful informative reflective sad fast-paced

As a bisexual woman, I loved this so much. The representation was exceptional. Most of us have experienced relationships where we just love bad people or bad partners and always hold out hope for things to change. This was a very real, emotional, and hopeful telling of that story and I couldn't get enough. Such high praise for this one and it's well-deserved!

nefari_'s review

emotional hopeful reflective medium-paced

nicolinebl's review

funny reflective sad fast-paced

When I saw the cover of this graphic novel I was already in love! The artwork is phenomenal! The storyline isn't anything wild I'd say, but I was still interested to see how it would end. Had a great time reading this.