The Lies of Locke Lamora, by Scott Lynch

sillvaire's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional funny medium-paced

The concept behind this book was really interesting, thieves who weren't necessarily good, but weren't necessarily bad either. Most of the characters had decent personalities but it didn't go to the extent that I actually connected with them. The flashbacks did give some more background into Locke's and his friends past but sometimes it just felt misplaced which really didn't do wonders for the pacing of the book.

I read this book because it was one of the series that was a highly recommended read but now I'm slightly disappointed. I do not think I will be reading the second book in the series.

amanda214's review

adventurous dark sad tense slow-paced

aroacedisaster's review

adventurous dark emotional funny sad tense medium-paced

kweekwegg's review against another edition

This book succeeded on so many levels, I couldn't help but give it 5 stars. There were certain points where I thought that the plot took the short route and resembled less-developed novels that I can think of, but these points are few and I truly believe that everything else in the book makes up for it. Lynch has BIG ideas; with how expansive this world is and how much he brought in to the city of Camorr, I would have actually liked a longer book. Of course, a first-time author doesn't have enough leg room to be writing GRR Martin-length novels, but I'm just saying, Lynch could really create something amazing if he was given that room.

What really made it simply amazing were those certain points in the story where the narrator would set something up, either in an anecdote from the narrator or a digression from a character, and later on in the story it would come back in a big way -- and all I could ever think in those moments was, "That was some damn good story structure."

scarletine6's review against another edition

Initially, I found this book quite difficult to get into. The way the story is written-alternate chapters about Locke's past and then present follow a similar tak to Patrick Rothfuss's books 'The name of the wind' and' The wise mans fear'. The start of the story is very dark, and the language very sweary! I did put it down and leave it for a few weeks and then went back to it, and boy, I'm glad i did!

The plot is basically about the training of a band of thieves as children, and as adults,the 'long con's ' they pull on nobles of their city. This leads to all sorts of trouble. As the story progresses it does pull you in,you begin to care about the band of thieves and what happens to them. I really fell in love with Locke, jean and the Gentleman Bastards. The world building is stunning, the city of Camorr is fascinating- as is the idea of the city-much like Venice, having been previously built by a long gone Alien race who left behind towers of 'Elderglass'. The writing is just beautiful. I adore Scott Lynch's use of language. The plot is intricate, and dark, not for the squemish, but wow what a ride. I will definitely check out his next books.

apageinthestacks's review against another edition

Pretty good overall--some really great moments, but as a whole it just didn't quite live up to my expectations. Which is perhaps my own fault, as I built it up to be the next ASoIaF or Kingkiller Chronicle, and sadly it was far from that.

Discounting those, it was amazing, but the problem was trying to ignore those. =P

The other main factor to my not liking this as much as I hoped is probably the Six of Crows Duology. Honestly, I was just so much more invested in Leigh Bardugo's characters than I was for any of the characters here. Kaz is such a better gang leader, and I just had way too high of hopes I guess.

Still, like I said, some great moments, and never really a -bad- moment, so I'll probably continue the series.

mgrey15's review against another edition

adventurous dark medium-paced

hazelnuttwirl15's review against another edition

adventurous medium-paced

eloise_bradbooks's review against another edition

Oh well will you look at that... I've fallen in love with a couple of Bastards and the city they live in.

bamugo's review against another edition

Particularly enjoyed the narrator of the audio book. Really fantastic.