Romancing the Werewolf, by Gail Carriger

tamke's review

adventurous emotional funny lighthearted fast-paced

capernex's review

funny lighthearted fast-paced

Enjoyed it more than Romancing the Inventor, not sure exactly why. I think the tone and writing was more similar to the original series. Also it was a very silly and fun story, and honestly not much of a romance. Which is fine with me.

yellow_star's review

adventurous lighthearted mysterious fast-paced

It's a fun gay werewolf steampunk book, but a super quick read. It's so short the author added a second story on the end to make it long enough for a paperback edition. Based in an alt history London and the Ton. There's a mystery, a cult, and big tough guys falling over themselves loving cute little babies. The short story involves a mystery in steampunk archeology dig in alt history Egypt.

emsee33's review

Utterly charming and almost unbearably sweet. (Almost!) The perfect balm for anyone who was disappointed that IMPRUDENCE ended without hinting at the fate of our favorite star-crossed werewolves. Will this story have the same impact for those unfamiliar with Biffy and Lyall’s history? Probably not, but it’s a charming romance all the same with plenty of Carriger’s wit.

nonesensed's review

Biffy, a new and fresh-faced Alpha, is doing his best to take up leadership of a pack in flux. Things would likely be more stable if the pack had a Beta to keep things stable. Sadly, Biffy's Beta has been going for a long, long time and it's worn him down a whole lot. What will happen when said Beta returns? Oh, and then there's a lovely little short story about what kind of human being Alexia Tarabotti's father was (spoilers: he was kinda cold-hearted).

The only complaint I have is that this was far too short. As much as I liked the previous installment in this series, that had to introduce a whole new character not seen in the "main" series before. He we get to revisit two beloved characters, with a lot of build-up. The additional story was also interesting.

friendstolovers's review

this was everything i wanted and more :`)

mey's review

emotional lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

tyrshand's review

This was the incredibly sweet reunion of two Parasol Protectorate characters that I desperately wanted a happy ending for. The other plot threads were amusing and interesting. They taught us more of the world's werewolf culture and inner workings. I also appreciate that the characters are not beholden to tropes and stereotypes, but get to be unique individuals who don't quite fall into any perfect little box.

linyarai's review

This was sweet and simple, more about their relationship than any plot or pack matters.

kales_korner's review

Oh I miss the world of the Parasol Protectorate series. Maybe I'll go back and reread them... yeah, right with my loads of time. But man, it's so nice to be back in a world of cheeky British insults, delicious fashion, and supernatural creatures. I love the wit and storytelling that comes from Gail's worlds. It was also one of the first book series that made Alyson and I friends so I will always think of it fondly.

I read the first book in the Supernatural Society long ago and I liked it better because it was about the most amazing French inventor and her finally finding her happy ever after. Don't get me wrong, I like the werewolves too, but I didn't enjoy the overall story of this one as much. The silly notion of the werewolves trying to be fathers was funny but only for a moment. I think it was dragged on too long.

Also, I am a fan of romantic tension but for some reason, how this one came across was just silly. Maybe it was because of their inner thoughts but the whole time I just shook the book and said "Talk to each other!" But I did like the eventually communication and how both of them were worried about the power structure. I have been rooting for this couple for a long time so it was nice to see them finally come together.

And I was happy for Biffy to come into his own. It was so sad what happened to him in the main series that I cried. I knew it was the only way and the best way to save his life, but still, it hits me too this day. So I care for this man and want to see him succeed. I am glad he was given the chance to do that in this book.

Conclusion: I don't need to own it but I love it as an addition to the series and the world