Sister Outsider: Essays and Speeches, by Audre Lorde

braincabbage's review against another edition

This book should be required reading everywhere. Hasn't lost any relevance at all since it was first published.

smjw86's review

informative inspiring reflective fast-paced

thehjort's review

Easily one of the best books I've ever read

gloconno's review

challenging emotional hopeful informative inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

anna_wa's review

Way back in October I was assigned to read four pieces from this for my LGBTQ Literature class - Trip To Russia, Poetry Is Not A Luxury, The Master's Tools Will Never Dismantle the Master's House, and Man Child: A Black Lesbian Feminist's Response. I waited until the semester was over to finish the rest of the collection because she was just so amazing I didn't want to abandon the rest of the book but I also wanted to give her my full attention (which I couldn't do when juggling other books assigned for classes).

This book is full of so many important things I feel like it should be required reading for everybody. Audre Lorde is incredible to read and even when she isn't writing poetry, she is still speaking with such a poetic voice. I feel like if you gave me a quote of hers without telling me who said it I would probably know exactly who said it because nobody else has her voice. I wish she could have been one of my teachers, but then, on the other hand, maybe she is still one of my teachers through this book.

I don't know how helpful this review will actually be to anybody else but me, but I'm sure there are other reviews on here who can give you more substance than this one. But I just had to leave a review singing her praises. She was truly a visionary, and I wish she was still alive right now.

cara_the_reader's review

informative reflective medium-paced

sara_yearofreadingdangerously's review against another edition

I had never before read any of Audre Lorde's work - this one is an eye opener and it's a good place to start to get a clear picture of where Lorde's activism and philosophy comes from. Much of what is discussed in this book is racial injustice in America, America's continued history of violence towards Black bodies, and the need for women of color to address the hurt that has been instilled in them since birth and try to build connections with other women of color.

I'm glad I read this book. It speaks very sincerely about white privileged and ignorance, the need to address these issues in order to make stronger moves towards gender equality. White woman need to do more to help their fellow women of color if we are ever going to have equality of gender. Though I am not much of an activist, Lorde makes a very strong case for relatively straightforward ways that women can help support each other that I will try to bring into practice in my own life.

I am also counting this as my "book with a cover you hate" for Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge 2018.

siri_gusdal01's review against another edition

challenging informative reflective slow-paced

peachymeg's review against another edition

a compelling and strong account of race and feminism and intersectionality. would highly recommend.

favourite essays: the uses of anger: women responding to racism; the master’s tools will never dismantle the master’s house; age, race, class, and sex: women redefining difference; uses of the erotic: the erotic as power

bbillings23's review against another edition

challenging emotional informative reflective medium-paced