Sister Outsider: Essays and Speeches by Audre Lorde

fowzee's review against another edition

i read this kind of slowly bc i didn’t want it to end

laurareadsbig's review against another edition

challenging informative inspiring reflective slow-paced

maisiehcrb's review against another edition

challenging hopeful inspiring reflective medium-paced

samvanstokkom's review against another edition

ik las deze echt heel sporadisch maar anyway, fucking mooie essays, ontzettend insightful, i love audre lorde

bakar's review against another edition

this was a really good read for this point in my life

bluelilyblue's review against another edition

It's rare that you read essays like this. Audre Lorde's writing is powerful despite its simplicity -- or perhaps because of it. It is angry and passionate, and, most importantly, it shows a willingness to work towards change, regardless of how arduous that endeavour may be. What I consider the most important piece of mind to keep from her essays is the plead for the acknowledgement (and the celebration) of differences between people; togetherness without the need for homogeneity.

I couldn't tell which of the texts were speeches and which were written essays, because Lorde expresses herself as if she were always addressing a listener: you, or an audience, or even humanity as a whole. She is still a poet in nonfiction, always playing with language and with figures of speech, which makes for a refreshing reading experience. I am so glad I read Sister Outsider at this moment in time, because it felt necessary and important that I did.

In all honesty, if you only make time to read one book this year, I have a long list of reasons why it should be this one.

f_h's review

emotional hopeful informative inspiring reflective medium-paced

camsara99's review against another edition

challenging emotional hopeful informative inspiring reflective fast-paced

diaspora_reader's review against another edition

challenging emotional informative inspiring reflective slow-paced

gusiakos's review against another edition

challenging informative inspiring reflective slow-paced